Sony STR 820 or Yamaha RX-V465 Plus some Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by r4merlin, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. r4merlin

r4merlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I know nothing about receivers but am currently thinking of getting one of the above.

Current equipment

Samsung 40" LCD
    HTPC
    PS2
    PS3
    WII

However I am very unsure which speakers to get to go with them, i.e go with 5.1 with something like the Jamo 5.1 or Tannoy 5.1 or could I even get away with cheap Yamaha NSP110 initially,

Longer term also I wondered if I could also connect them rock speakers in garden to any of these amps , for BBQ etc. Or do I need to look at a better spec amp.

I don't have any budget in mind but was hoping between approx £400 maybe bit more. Maybe even starting with lower end system and building up, but initially want half decent amp.

Also I wondered if there would be any benefit in setting up 3.1 initially and what suggestions

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
  3. sasker

sasker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

I have just returned home today with a Yamaha RX-V465.:D

I had a 365 which I got Saturday but decided to try my luck furthur and be cheeky at Richer Sounds and took it back and asked what deal he could do me for the 465.

I got £50 off it so after the £60 saving from saturday I paid an extra £70 for an even better amp:D an awesome deal on a £330 amp

I have to say the 465 is a superb amp. I have it running through a set of Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers which give a superb sound:D

I spent time debating about the Sony but the Yamaha is in a different league.

I listened to a Sony today when I went in and it sounded ok but not mind blowing.

The Sony is a very cheap amp with 7.1 capability and HDMI upscaling (No use to me as my Sky HD box does my upscaling on SD content much better.
    It also has Dolby True HD and DTS Master audio etc all for £200 - £230

I feel that the Sony amp is ok for a budget amp but all those features comes at a cost and why sacarfice the sound unless you want 7.1 and HDMI upscaling.

I would try Richer Sound and see what deal they can do you.

I have just worked out my total saving as £80 after buying a set of speakers, amp and sublink cable.

I suggest listening to them both or a few in the shop.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    The STRDG820 has no upscaling or video processing abilities of any description.

5. sasker

sasker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My mistake I thought it did.

6. r4merlin

r4merlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks guys I am strongly leaning towards the Yamaha, the 365 is no good to me cos only 2 hdmi, PS3, Virgin V+ and HTPC to connect so think 465 would be better.

Still debating speakers, the tannoys suggesting would take it well over £500.

Any suggestions on maybe using bookshelf speakers?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. bigbug

bigbug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A word of warning regarding the rx-v465, I bought one but promptly sent it back when my qed anniversary xt speaker wire wouldn't fit into the small, cheap looking spring clip speaker connections.

Fortunately, Weymouth Hifi understood my problem and let me exchange it for a Pioneer vsx819h which has proper binding posts.

8. r4merlin

r4merlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Dont currently have any speakers or cables so will buy at the time

9. Tone-uk

Tone-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Just an idea but, I'd recommend considering the Yamaha 861se. It's £300 and performs as well as the 863se but, only has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output. However, you could possibly connect the virgin box via hdmi on the tv (if it has more than 1 input??) and then use optical from the virgin box to 861se. This would then enable you to connect the ps3 and htpc using the 2 hdmi on the amp. Bit of a pain but, you would be getting better performance and a more future proof av amp should you wish to upgrade speakers later on (ie won't need to change it to gain most from new speakers (up to a point!)).

Yamaha 7.1 Channel Amp.735W Up-Scaling,1080P - Compatible DSPAX861SE - Yamaha Amps & Receivers from MultizoneAV.com

Oh, it will accept multichannel lpcm over hdmi so you will be able to get hd audio from the PS3.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009