Sony Str 3200es HDMI switching problem?

skirpydoink

Hi,

I seem to be having a bit of a problem getting a picture when assigning to HDMI....

A few weeks ago i had the 1200es but got it changed to the 3200es because it could not do sound through HDMI, but i did assign my PS2 and Xbox to it outputting 1080i through HDMI.

I have just set this up again but i cannot get any picture at all.

I have my TV on the correct AV channel and have my Xbox connected through component to DVD input on the amp then my PS2 is connected to the TV/Sat with component also.

I go into the amps menu and set HDMI 1 to DVD and HDMI 2 to TV/Sat.

I switch to HDMI 1 -2 on the amp and the picture is blank:confused:

I upscaled a composite connection to component and that works fine!

I never got a problem on the 1200es....

Can anybody help me out please?

Cheers!

Dann'sTheMan

I'm struggling to understand what you are sending to the amp via HDMI? Neither the PS2 nor the XBox output HDMI.

Am I right that you are connecting both your PS2 and XBox with Component for video and Optical for audio? In which case you should be using the Component V. Assign section of the video settings menu (check Video Convert is also ON for Upconversion), and the Digital Assign section of the audio settings menu. Then you should simply need to press either the DVD button, or the TV/SAT button on your remote control, :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

skirpydoink

Yes, thats correct!

I have both the PS2 and Xbox connected to component on the Amp and i can get a picture and sound when i press either TV/Sat or DVD but i am sure i can output these signal through the HDMI?

Does the signal not change to 1080i through HDMI?

In the HDMI settings the TV/Sat and DVD is there to be assigned to HDMI 1 or 2.

Maybe im wrong but i am pretty sure the signals were coming through the HDMI connection on my 1200es amp.

I have an HDMI cable running from my TV to the video out on the amp also.

Thanks for the reply!

skirpydoink

Anybody else give me some help before i try to get an exchange?

Its too much hasstle to box this up and post back again.:(

Shouldn't i be able to connect to any of the inputs using
Composite, Svideo or Component and have it outputted through HDMI if i wanted?

Cheers!

Dann'sTheMan

Yes, thats correct!

I have both the PS2 and Xbox connected to component on the Amp and i can get a picture and sound when i press either TV/Sat or DVD but i am sure i can output these signal through the HDMI?

Does the signal not change to 1080i through HDMI?

In the HDMI settings the TV/Sat and DVD is there to be assigned to HDMI 1 or 2.

Maybe im wrong but i am pretty sure the signals were coming through the HDMI connection on my 1200es amp.

I have an HDMI cable running from my TV to the video out on the amp also.

Thanks for the reply!

OK. I think I follow your train of thought. HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 are actually INPUTS. If I understand correctly, what you really want to do is set the HDMI OUTPUT to send video images from the Component Inputs to your display. This is called "Upconversion", and the good news is that the 3200ES can indeed do this (the 1200ES can only upconvert as far as Component, so you couldn't have possibly got this working with HDMI with your old set up).

So, you won't be using HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 to set up upconversion. Indeed it seems that you already have TV/SAT and DVD assigned correctly, as it will be these buttons you will be pressing to get your Component video signals from your PS2 and XBox. All that remains then, is to receive these on your display via the HDMI cable. All you should need to do is go into the Video Settings, and set Video Convert to ON; then set your display to the appropriate HDMI input.

Be aware that the 3200ES does not change the resolution of the input video. So if your XBox is outputting 1080i, then you'll get 1080i on the upconverted HDMI signal. If your PS2 is outputting 576p, then you'll get 576p on the upconverted HDMI signal. :)

From what you've said so far, it seems as if the 3200ES can do everything you wish. May be a touch premature to send it back. :smashin:

Big smiles,

Andy.

skirpydoink

Hello again,

You have made things a little more clear:)

I can go into the video settings and get the PS2 for example to output at 480p/576p and it does look quite a bit better.

But i cant get a picture to display via the HDMI cable.

I have set video convert to on and have set it to the correct HDMI input but there is no signal at all.

On my Amp it shows something like this when i select..... HDMI1 - TV/Sat.... but when i switch to HDM1 after it, there is no signal.

I did a reset earlier and after that i can't seem to up convert composite to Component now.

I feel there is something wrong here.

If i was to connect Sky or Cable all i would get would be a 480i signal.

Cheers!

Dann'sTheMan

Hey, have you checked that you have the HDMI cable plugged into the OUT on your AVR? Don't mean to be patronising, but just thought it's worth checking bearing in mind the apparent confusion earlier. Assuming this, and assuming HDMI In is selected on your display, try pressing Receiver, then On Screen on the remote control - this should at least confirm that your getting HDMI signals out of your AVR and to the screen. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

skirpydoink

Hi,

I have my PS3 connected to the HDMI 1 on the Amp and it shows no problem when i power it on.

When i press reciever then On screen i get the menu showing up through the component lead running to my TV.

Thanks.

skirpydoink

Are you now sorted?

A.

Its still not playing via the HDMI.

I will take some pics and show you how i am going about it if you dont mind having a look?......

I will use this component DVD connection as an example....this is connected to my PS2......

dsc00014ul0.jpg

This is a picture of the HDMI cable running to my TV and the other to my PS3.....

dsc00015if5.jpg

I press Reciever then On Screen......

dsc00016ta0.jpg

I assign the DVD input to HDMI1, i have also tried HDMI2......

dsc00017sk7.jpg

It shows this on the Amp also....

dsc00018zx5.jpg

I switch to HDMI1 and there is no signal and no picture on the TV......

dsc00019ni8.jpg

Maybe i dont understand this HDMI passthrough?

Cheers!

Dann'sTheMan

Okay. It seems that you didn't follow what I was saying regarding HDMI Inputs and Outputs. :D

Right, in your second picture, the one showing the two HDMI cables, I'm going to assume the top one goes to your PS3, and the bottom one to your TV. If they don't, then set them this way.

Next, in your first picture, showing your PS2 going into the DVD Component In, let's follow that through. I'm going to assume the PS2 audio arrives on Optical on say Video 1 In (the top one of the toslink sockets).

Go into Video Settings -> HDMI V Assign, and set both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to NONE. This is because these are Inputs! They shouldn't be assigned to anything as you have your PS3 connected, and that needs No reassignment.

Next, go into Video Settings -> Component V. Assign and check that DVD Input is assigned to DVD (and TV/SAT is assigned to TV/SAT).

Finally go into Audio Settings -> Digital Assign, and set VIDEO 1 OPT to DVD.

Now when you press the DVD button on the remote control, you should get the PS2. When you press HDMI1, you should get the PS3. Let me know how you get on, :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

skirpydoink

Thanks for the reply again!:D

I have the PS2 audio left and right going into the correct settings on the DVD input (you cant se it in the picture)

I can get a pictue with the PS2/Xbox/PS3 by pressing the correct buttons on the remote.

I know the PS2 has been upconverted to 480p/576p

The Component V. Assign is also as you say it should be.

What i was lead to believe is that i could connect any lead Composite/Svideo/Component and the video would be upconverted up to 1080i via the HDMI lead.

Wish i had just stuck with my old faithfull Yamaha amp.....paying £500 for uncompressed 5.1 and upscaling to 480p seems a bit too much now.

Cheers for the help!

Dann'sTheMan

What i was lead to believe is that i could connect any lead Composite/Svideo/Component and the video would be upconverted up to 1080i via the HDMI lead.

Wish i had just stuck with my old faithfull Yamaha amp.....paying £500 for uncompressed 5.1 and upscaling to 480p seems a bit too much now.

Cheers for the help!

It seems that you are finally sorted? :)

Yep, the 3200ES's support of uncompressed audio over HDMI is one of its key selling points - allowing us to hear the best possible multi-channel sound (up to 7.1) from Blu Ray movies etc.

It does seem as if you were mislead however. The 3200ES does indeed do upconversion i.e. it takes a "lesser" analogue format input, and outputs it on a "superior" format such as as component or HDMI. It DOES NOT however, increase the screen resolution of the input video. This would be upscaling, and you'd have to upgrade to the flagship 5200ES for this feature. :cool:

Big smiles,

Andy.

skirpydoink

Ok...this might be my last question:rolleyes:

"It does seem as if you were mislead however. The 3200ES does indeed do upconversion i.e. it takes a "lesser" analogue format input, and outputs it on a "superior" format such as as component or HDMI. It DOES NOT however, increase the screen resolution of the input video. This would be upscaling, and you'd have to upgrade to the flagship 5200ES for this feature."

I am getting a picture with component because i also have a component lead running to my tv through the component out on the back of the Amp.

Some of the reviews i have read say all they have is an HDMI running to their TV from the Amp and are plugging Component/SVideo/ and Composite connections into the Amp and they are being displayed in better quality through the HDMI lead...... http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDA3200ES-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B000JCUOY6

Direct Connection with a PS3 through HDMI is no problem but....

If i didn't have a component out running to my TV......i wouldnt get a picture with anything else!

Dann'sTheMan

I also only run a single HDMI lead to my display, so the component video output from my DVD recorder is indeed upconverted to HDMI. :cool:

Follow all of the instructions that I posted at 21:06 yesterday (April 10), and in addition confirm that Video Settings -> Video Convert = ON.

Then, you should be able to select the HDMI input on your TV, and when you press DVD on your amp's remote control you'll get the PS2 signal. Once you've confirmed this, you can disconnect the component leads between your TV and amp, as you won't need them. :smashin:

Big smiles,

Andy.

skirpydoink

:thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

I have just pulled out the component lead running to the TV and now everything is running via HDMI:clap:

The component lead must have been interfering somehow.

Cheers again!

Dann'sTheMan

Great news! You sound happy! Glad I could help. :smashin:

Big smiles,

Andy.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom