1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY STR 1080 Receiver help please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DanAshmoreUK, Feb 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey everyone
    i bought the SONY STRDB1080 receiver about a month ago and i must say ive been very impressed with it but unfortunately i think it may have a fault.:(
    I think this question would only appeal to people who have the receiver already and my question is
    when i watch a film such as Lord of the rings in its DTS ES it says 3/3/1 Decoding which is correct BUT when i watch a film like Star Wars ep1&2 in Dolby Digital EX the receiver says that it is decoding 3/2/1 which is 5.1 and the surround back is not activated??? now im sure this is wrong isnt it.
    oh yeah ive also tried LOTR, T2 and other Dolby EX films and none of them work???
    please help me its really frustrating!!!
    thx
    ---Ashmore---

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Very few DD EX discs carry the EX flag, it caused some problems when first introduced and was dropped, pending a rethink. So it's case of having to manually turn on the EX decoder for DD.

spence

3. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so therefore i should turn the surround back decoding to matrix everytime?
    can somebody confirm this who has this receiver please
    thx again
    ---Ashmore---

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I do have the receiver.
    I leave it in "Auto" mode, and only switch to matrix for EX encoded stuff. It's a minor pain, but disc not receiver related.

spence

5. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thx a lot
    but will future dvd's be dolby ex encoded perhaps? and is there any other receivers that properly decode ex without having to switching the SB to matrix?
    ---Ashmore---