sony std 1080 connectivity

M

max101

ok guys i'm on the last leg. last smidgen of help required on the topic of connectivity.

my dvd ( sony 405 ) is connected directly to RGB on tv ( scart to scart )
digital sound from dvd into amp via short optical.

a little confused though with the NTL set top box connection though. I want to get the DPL2 effect ...... ( until ntl get their finger out and start broadcasting 5.1 )

I though either
a) existing scart out of ntl STB to svid scart on TV.
Then run sound back to amp via phono leads from back of TV

or

b) run from scart on ntl stb directly to amp via a scart to svid cable. then connect from svid socket up to the tv's scart svid

hopefully both methods would give the DPL2 ?
but which one would provide the best sound and picture ?

Originally posted by max101
a little confused though with the NTL set top box connection though. I want to get the DPL2 effect ...... ( until ntl get their finger out and start broadcasting 5.1 )

Just connect a set of phono's from the TV's audio outs, or the audio outs on the back of the STB to audio inputs on the back of the amp.

On your second choice, the s video connection wouldnt carry any sound. Would suggest either your first choice, or phonos direct from ntl box to amp.

run a pair of phono's

from stereo O\P on the digi box

to

Stereo I\P on the Amp

i'll give it a try thks

1 more thing though

i believe the scart output on the ntl box is rgb. but as my dvd has already occupied the only rgb connection on my tv it means the input on tv has to be svid.

what are the consequences on coming out of a rgb scart on the ntl into an svid on the tv. i think the scart on the ntl box is setup for rgb by default and am not sure whether there is an option to change this to output as svid ?

whats likely to be the fallout of this connectivity ?

( can't spell for peanuts )

Firstly, if the STB supports RGB then I think it's unlikely to have the option of S-Video as well, think you will find the only other option left will be composite. To check this you will have to have a look in the settings menu for the STB.

Once you know what the STB supports there are a few ways you can connect here.

* If the STB supports RGB and your DVD has two scarts you may be able to loop the STB through the DVD, this way you will be able to view both sources via RGB

* If the DVD only has one scart then a switchbox (RGB compatable) could be the next solution.

* If the STB outputs S-Video just connect that up via scart to one of the other AV connections on the TV that supports S-Video.

what are the consequences on coming out of a rgb scart on the ntl into an svid on the tv.

The consequence would probably be no picture. Early STB's wouldn't output s-video and if that is the case you have the option of a scart switch box for the best picture or conversely you can set the STB output to composite and use a spare scart socket on the TV but the picture quality won't be as good.

i think the scart on the ntl box is setup for rgb by default and am not sure whether there is an option to change this to output as svid ?

NTL STB's are most likely to have composite as the default, the option then would be to change it to RGB or S-Video which ever it caters for.

Think I'm right in saying that it depends on your area to what model NTL install whether the STB gives you the option of S-Video/RGB. Just view the settings menu.

Then as Ian and myself have said, connect via switchbox if the STB supports RGB, if you don't want to use a switch box then as Ian says select composite on the STB and connect via scart to a spare AV socket on the TV.

If you have a STB that supports S-Video then just connect it via scart to a suitable AV socket on the TV.

thks guys

tonight is the big "christ is it 3.00am already" connect it all together ( hopefully working ) marathon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom