SONY SS1100 - Is it really 1000W?.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by gjp, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gjp

gjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have just upgraded from a Sony Dav S800 total 350 watts rms to the above, but although I am very happy with the sound, it does not seem to be all that more powerful.

On the S800 I normally had the volume set at around 10 (Maxium system setting 30 - 350 watts), but with the new system I have to have the volume set to between 16 and 20 (Maxium system settings is 40 - 1000 watts), so does anyone know why, when I expected to this to be the other way round. Also on the silver 1000 version the max system volume setting is 70.

I would be grateful for any advice on the above.

Thanks.

2. qwerty1234

qwerty1234
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    higher wattage figures doesn't mean louder volumes always. although it could be measured as giving 1000w the components used limit the volume. Manufacturers like putting big wattages on things as consumers think they are getting "more" the phrase to remember is quality not quantity.

3. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I share your scepticism. It is notable that the Sony website does not qualify their 1,000 watts figure with anything, let alone the initials R.M.S. So their numbers are meaningless.

I also note that they say the total power consumption is less than the lightbulb in my lounge. I cannot quite achieve 1,000 watts output on my five separate amplifiers but I do note that the power consumption is way over a kilowatt. My suspicion is that Sony are guilty of deception on a monumental scale. They are not the only maker to tread that path.

4. qwerty1234

qwerty1234
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    143 watts rms per channel x5 285 watts RMS to the sub (=1000). unit total power consumption 110 watts. But the original post states that you are very happy with the sound so at the end of the day what does it matter.

5. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    As gjp bought the SS1100 in the expectation of it being louder than his old system, (it's one of the things he specifically states) he may feel he has every right to think it does matter.

I once got in trouble with the village constabulary for running a single 10 watt amplifier full blast. But that was in the days when watts were watts and speakers didn't waste most of them.

6. gjp

gjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks,

Sorry for my rant the other day, Like I said I am very happy with the sound and it's a great little unit and good value, just could not figure that way the volume settings needed to be higher than my old sony system.

Having read up abit on RMS, there is alot more to do with it than I first thought and understand it could I not!.

Cheers

7. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Do you think that the Sony HT-DDW890 would be able to go much louder?

I know this also wont be able to be 1000 watts all the time as well.

My mate has this but he has never turned it right up.

The Sony HT-DDW890 Sub also has its own AMP so would that help it?

Where the SONY SS1100 Sub has not got its own AMP.

8. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    To gjp... I can't see any rant. Maybe people's ideas about what constitutes a rant varies as much as what people consider to be loud. :)

Maximum volume depends on many things. Have you changed your speakers as well as the amp? Speaker sensitivity can have a very great impact on perceived loudness. When I was a teenager (1950s) I used to work in the projection room of a large Odeon cinema. We had one loudspeaker in a big bass reflex cabinet powered by a single mono thirty (that's 30) watt RCA amplifier and it was more than powerful enough even with 1000 people soaking up the sound. Now we (me too) put 1,000 watts in a domestic lounge.

I am fortunate to live in a detached house with only one other house within a hundred feet or so and tend to play music as loud as I judge the original performance might be. When I entertain other people, then, with very few exceptions, they complain that it is too loud even when I am itching to turn it up several notches - and no I am not deaf. :)

If you still have your old speakers you might try connecting them to the new amp. They may be noticeably louder. As a very general rule of thumb better speakers with flatter frequency responses will be less efficient than cheaper and less good ones.

Sometimes poor speakers will sound louder than good ones because of the extra distortion. My portable radio can output no more than a couple of watts but sometimes gets turned off while I mutter something about "bl**dy racket!" yet I can unleash a large chunk of my 900 watts RMS and produce entirely different emotions.

There are so many variables at play here even beforre considering the manufacturer's 'deception factor' that I shall duck any attempt to answer whether one bit of kit will sound louder than another that is not all that different.

As has been indicated already in this thread, the mains power consumption may well be a better guide than what a maker claims can be sent to a speaker (for half a nanosecond).

Apologies for my little rant. When all manfacturers quoted the RMS output there was some chance of doing a meaningful comparison. Not any more.:mad:

9. dazzler9000

dazzler9000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi,

I've still got an DAV-S800 and I've heard the SS1100 and I have to say that I think the 6 year old S800 walks all over the SS1100. There is no way the SS1100 has 3 times the power.

I'm even considering buying a second hand S800 from ebay for the bedroom as I have always been so impressed by the sound.

Just my opinion.

10. Pookgai

Pookgai
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm so frustrated... The HTSS1100 is exactly what I need but I can't find it in stock ANYWHERE!

I went to Ask on Tottenham Court Rd and they have it for 179 pounds which is dirt cheap but then they said they have it on order with no confirmed delivery date...

Does anyone know where I can find this sub 200 pounds? I'm also looking for some accompanying black stands (2x for the rear speakers). Does anyone know if there are any compatible stands around?

Many thanks in advance!

11. friedbeenz

friedbeenz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0