Sony SRS-X9 High-Res Wireless Speaker Review

leonccyiu

Standard Member
Is there any possibility of using this as a TV Soundbar as well? I notice a lack of optical input which is disappointing.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I don't think so and it would probably be a bit too big for use as a soundbar.

leonccyiu

Standard Member
That's problem with photos its difficult to get a sense of scale. I am disappointed the sony centre on Tottenham court road has shut and am not sure where I can get the chance to see one now.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
True, although I did include the dimensions in the review - "The SRS-X9 itself measures 430 x 133 x 125mm and weighs a hefty 4.6kg."

Jaunty

for scale

leonccyiu

Standard Member
Thanks for the photo. That's not too big it could fit under a TV Cabinet. I know the dimensions are included but unless you're a quantity surveyor or have a tape measure next to you it can be hard to visualise.

JohnnyAV

Novice Member
I actually reviewed this too last night, I think your review is much better though! One of the best speakers I've come across so far. I think that it basically beats sonos on all fronts really, pat on the back to Sony for their 3 years of hard labour.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Hmmm nice. Great review

Though I don't think I've seen a speaker that I would want to keep the grill on so much. Damn that thing is ugly when necked....imo of course

mitor

I'm loving the quantity, and quality, of all the reviews on AVF recently but could we always include the rough street price prominently on each one? It's a pretty critical bit of info

Wakinglimb

I really like the look of this, but would too like to use it as a sound bar as well as a music device. Just wondering the best way to connect it to a modern tv.

gringottsdirect

Have to agree about a hint of a price being useful although I appreciate the difficulties.
This is the first time I have seen this item and guessed it was probably around £500, after some googling found it on US Amazon plus some other UK sources also without a price - then found it @ £549.oo on a Sony website.

That compares well against a Naim Muso @ £895 looking at the spec but can only guess it wouldn't sound as good but then again it might.

Suppose they will both end up at John Lewis anyway and be discounted given Naim not restricting Muso to Naim dealers - maybe it will even appear on Amazon like the Sony ?

H3nry

Glad wireless is now in speakers no more fight about what cable is better.No now we going to fight about the bandwidth it transmit.lol

Doomlord_uk

Having owned a Sony NAS-Z200 DIR (and missing it greatly, actually...) I'm quite keen to see and hear what this can do. It certainly looks like it can move some air!

DarkEntity

Ive got a Bose Soundtouch 20 and its fantastic, if this is priced under that of the Bose with similar sound quality and features it could be a serious competitor.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
Why is this product selling at £479 in Germany.. yet a uniformed price of £599 is unbroken in the UK .. at the German price I would be buying , UK price no chance.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
Where in Germany?
The price comparison site idealo give the shop info .. it was on Amazon de for a similar price until last week supplied by Amazon de now that price has gone back up.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
I have recently purchased one ... easy to use via Bluetooth .. not so WI-FI .. I have no idea how you connect/ pair this with a PC over WI-FI even a USB connection has failed.. so just Bluetooth .. Also it is far from as big as you would assume.. as for the Song Pal app a dogs dinner.. at this price there should be a information window on the top , rather than just flashing lights.. which are very basic.. I have obviously not heard any HI-RES music so how it sounds at it's very best I could not asses .. A half decent one piece system ie Denon m39 or Denon Cello which I have .. offer for me much better sound.. and paid less for both with speakers.. though not practical to move from room to room unlike the Sony , unless you are going to utilise hi-Res music , at this price .. I would have to say look elsewhere ... this is of course is only my opinion .. but a qualified one on grounds of ownership.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett