Sony SR8 or JVC HD7! Which one will be your choose and why?

avdlin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am looking to buy a HD camcorder and looking at the Sony SR8 and JVC HD7. I was wondering if people can share some advise or opnion.

Cheers:)

'OIS' refers to optical image stabilizer

Just to add to it...your choice may also depend on the editing software you decide to use...if any.

The Sony is supported by more pro and semi-pro editing software of the bat without any need to do any converting.

Camera wise a lot of people once they try the HD7 like the semi-pro feel where as the SR8 seem more suited to the home/family/holiday crowd.

Also both companies have new cameras coming on line in the next few months and it might be wise to wait not only for price drops in the two models you are interested in but also to see if the new cameras have any extra features you like.

OIS is Optical Image Stabilisation, popularly considered not to work on the HD7. JVC's fix in a firmware update was to switch it off entirely. :eek:

In general the following facts are normally true:

CMOS tend to use less power, so the battery should last longer than on a CCD cam

1 CMOS/CCD should be better in low light than 3 (for a same sized sensor). Single sensors tend to be larger than those on a 3 sensor cam.
3 CMOS/CCD's gives better colour balance in good light conditions than a single sensor cam

Mark.

TBH, you wouldn't normally notice which of these you were using. My HV10 had a CMOS, so did my Sony HDR-HC1e but my Panasonic SDR-S150 and HDC-SD7, and HDC-SD9 all have 3CCDs.

I wouldn't let it influence my choice of cam.

TBH, you wouldn't normally notice which of these you were using. My HV10 had a CMOS, so did my Sony HDR-HC1e but my Panasonic SDR-S150 and HDC-SD7, and HDC-SD9 all have 3CCDs.

I wouldn't let it influence my choice of cam.

So what is the reason for you to choose Panasonic? Because of the size or other reasons?

Size, yes. SD7 because it is an upright, pistol grip type and is tiny. SD9 because it is tiny and 25p may get me better low light footage.

No other reason. If another HV10 (PAL) came along at the right price tomorrow I'd probably buy it.

OK, another reason: they are SDHC cams. I like SDHC and I like HDV (MiniDV) tape. I don't like HDD cams.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom