1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Sports Packs Underwater

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Roy Mallard, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have any first hand experience of these items?.

I'm working on a project within which it would be nice to include a brief underwater sequence, and see these units as the most cost effective way of doing it.

I'm looking at the SPK-DF4/DF5 for the trv900, or i might get a SPK-TRC and try and pick up a cheap second hand D8 cam from somewhere.

I'm intending to set focus (hyperfocal, wide angle & just shy of infinity focus) and exposure before putting the camera in the housing (by metering off a 15% grey card placed at the depth I'll be filming at from above the water), I'm more concerned about things like fogging and seal reliability.

How fluid are things like zoom control (I presume these go through a lanc?).

2. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Roy,
    I use one of these
    It's a soft housing (well I guess you can read all about it....) but it's extremely effective and I've got some great shots of my children in and under the water....
    Otherwise there's loads of others on that site...

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, thanks, I had seen these, but I just thought they were a) a wee bit flimsy and b) way expensive for what they actually were, the sony units aren't all that much more and I'd have a bit more confidence in them I think. Cheers though.

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Fair shout, but the sony's are only down to 2 metres, right..... this is as deep as you want.... although after 10m it does become a bit impractical to operate as the water pressure squashes the bag on the controls!

You use silica gel bags, inside the housing... therefore no moisture... therefore no fogging. I've certainly had no problem with fogging.
    For seals you can use gels to prevent any leaks, but in my experience I've not had to use this and I've not had a problem with leaks.

5. chickenslippers

chickenslippers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dude iv filmed on and under water using an aquapac waterproof bag. iv not had any leaks and iv been thrown out of an inflable ringo while filming my wakeboard buddies.
    hope this helps
    chickenslippers