1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve_e42, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased my first home cinema kit a few months back, and this included the cheapest sony pascal speakers (i think 225 series). I am now looking to upgrade them, and had been looking at the new sony 835 ed package (the store have offered a good part exchange), but having read this and other forums, it seems that sony speakers are not held in high regard. I'm no techie, but are there sound (no pun intended) reasons for this?
    Thanks.

2. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony aren't the worst speakers, but they simply aren't the best out there... what's your budget?

3. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the 835's are around 600 full price.. with P/E it will be about 500 cash. I can go a little more, but they must be in that style, dont have space for anything larger .. i have looked at the KEF eggs too, but i need to justify to myself the extra cost, plus no P/E as they are at a different dealer.

4. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm assuming you also need an amp to go with speakers?

If so you might want to check out the Acoustic Energy Aego P5 - all in one Dolby Pro Logic/Digital and DTS decoder, 5 small alloy satellites (smaller than a coke can!) 125W sub - the whole package looks sweet.

Oh and it also got 5/5 in home entertainment mag!

Also something that does look extremely nice and very good value is the new Panasonic SC-DT100, which is a complete all in one ie. dvd player, amp, speakers - £500.

Got 4/5 in HC mag, 'it's as good as it all-in-ones get'

My advice is take your time, read the forums, read magazine reviews etc. ... there's SO much choice so don't rush into a buy whatever you do!

5. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thanks for your help. I dont need an amp right now, I currently have a Sony 870 amp which I got a few months ago at the same time as the speakers. I'm quite happy with that, but recognise that the speakers could be better, hence wanting to upgrade. Thanks again.

6. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. DavidMalone

DavidMalone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

I have just bought the Sony SA-VE835ed speakers, £500 ish from unbeatable.co.uk or £420 from http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/shop2/speakers.htm

Very stylish IMO, and great sound quality (I am by no means an expert, but coming through a 1070 amp these babies sound superb).

Hope that helps,

David

8. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, thanks David; I got a set too last week, and have to say I'm happy with them, glad to see i'm not the only one!