Sony speakers

proplus

Standard Member
Currently have the Sony DAV DZ500 home cinema kit, I like the look of the speakers and do well for my needs.

If I was to get a new receiver like the Denon AVR1906, what would I need to do to connect these speakers up to it?

- Is it a case of stripping the wires and putting them in banana plugs?
- Changing the wires altogether?
- Or not possible?

stavros69

Standard Member
BUMP

I have the same problem at the moment. I have this system http://www.bizrate.co.uk/hometheatre_cinemasystems/pid367883372/

But they have plugs that you can only plug into the sony DVD player. I wish to upgrade my DVD player and get an Amp at the same time. Could someone please advise me !!!!

I have a budget of about £300 for the amp and dvd player if that is even possible. The Amp is the most important thing as i can always use my Xbox 360 as the DVD player.

M3G4

Novice Member
stavros69 said:
BUMP

I have the same problem at the moment. I have this system http://www.bizrate.co.uk/hometheatre_cinemasystems/pid367883372/

But they have plugs that you can only plug into the sony DVD player. I wish to upgrade my DVD player and get an Amp at the same time. Could someone please advise me !!!!

I have a budget of about £300 for the amp and dvd player if that is even possible. The Amp is the most important thing as i can always use my Xbox 360 as the DVD player.

Nine times out of ten the satellites can just be wired into the reciever via bared wires - any propriatery 2 prong plastic plug crap can be cut off, as long as the sat's are meaty enough to take the load from the amp and are the correct Ohm'age (impeadance?)

The subwoofers usually aren't useable (unless they're passive, in which case you'll need an amp with a dedicated amplified sub output) because they have the amplifiers for the satellites built inside them (so the actual "reciever box" has more room for dvd playing gubbins. The bit that deals with all the sound is in the subwoofer enclosure. Very silly design IMO but hey.

To be honest, whilst the satellites ARE useable with real AVR's, you'll miss out on the fuller sound you'd get from full-range speakers. I myself use Mission M70's - tiny little speakers with a very nice warm, clear sound, and also quite cheap. If you don't want to pay too much, Mission's M2S series are pretty good - M2S surrounds and M2SC centre speaker. The surrounds are £40 per pair, and the centre is £30.

stavros69

Standard Member
M3G4 said:
Nine times out of ten the satellites can just be wired into the reciever via bared wires - any propriatery 2 prong plastic plug crap can be cut off, as long as the sat's are meaty enough to take the load from the amp and are the correct Ohm'age (impeadance?)

The subwoofers usually aren't useable (unless they're passive, in which case you'll need an amp with a dedicated amplified sub output) because they have the amplifiers for the satellites built inside them (so the actual "reciever box" has more room for dvd playing gubbins. The bit that deals with all the sound is in the subwoofer enclosure. Very silly design IMO but hey.

To be honest, whilst the satellites ARE useable with real AVR's, you'll miss out on the fuller sound you'd get from full-range speakers. I myself use Mission M70's - tiny little speakers with a very nice warm, clear sound, and also quite cheap. If you don't want to pay too much, Mission's M2S series are pretty good - M2S surrounds and M2SC centre speaker. The surrounds are £40 per pair, and the centre is £30.
Thanks for the advise mate, it just seems a huge waste of money and huge hit not to be able to use these with my new TV. Do you know where i can confirm if i can cut these wires and plug them into an AMP. Thanks

M3G4

Novice Member
stavros69 said:
Thanks for the advise mate, it just seems a huge waste of money and huge hit not to be able to use these with my new TV. Do you know where i can confirm if i can cut these wires and plug them into an AMP. Thanks
Post pictures of the satellite specs label and the cables and I can tell you.