1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by si325i, Jun 21, 2004.

1. si325i

si325i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there all, got some SONY speakers at the moment SS-176e. and there very good for what they cost me. (had them from new) but i'm wanting some new ones and got my eye on SONY's SS-B4ED are they going to be better than what i have or should i get some think different? and how do they compare to what i've got. CD player SONY XA20ES, Amp SONY FA30ES. BI-WIRED. Thanks Si. :thumbsup:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sony aren't reknowned for their speakers and the kindest description that can be applied to most of them is "adequate". Having said that, they did produce a pair of floorstanders about 10 years ago that won quite a few awards but I don't think that success has been repeated since.

Why are you thinking of changing your speakers if you are happy with them. I have never heard the Sony speakers that you are thinking of buying but notice that they are now discontinued and are available at a substantial discount from digital-point.

If it were me, I would leave Sony to manufacture the electronics that they do so well and audition speakers from dedicated speaker manufacturers instead.

3. si325i

si325i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i thought i'd change them as i think they have alway been the weak link in my system. don't get me wrong they sound great. just want bit more of something. (?) vocals, punch! and they are black ash and would like beach coloured ones now. maybe B&W?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    B&W do know how to make speakers but what is your budget

5. si325i

si325i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £300. not that much.

6. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56

The 176EB was the model that won lots of awards in the mid 90s and the bookshelf model from the same range was the 86E. I used to have a pair of 86E's and would thought they were great for about £80 and very well made. I have a friend who has the 176EB and I'm still impressed whenever I hear them. I think if you spend £200-250 today you will get prehaps a slightly better sound but probably not such good build quality. However, the Sony are pretty ugly black lumps compared to some to today's beech and maple designs. I've not heard any newer Sony models but seem to remember reading a good review about 2 years ago for some floorstanders.

I would make sure you can home demo any speakers you like the look of before changing anything.