Sony Sony RDR-HXD870 Editing Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TTCircuit, Sep 21, 2007.

1. TTCircuit

TTCircuit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like many others I find the instruction manual confusing. I have programmes recorded to HDD that I would like to transfer to DVD with the adverts edited out. Can someone please talk me through the steps required to do this?

Thanks

2. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    i have a Panasonic, but it's probably a very similar process.

when you have the menu up where you can see all the programmes you've recorded, highlight the programme you want to edit and you should be able to press a button to bring up a list of options (delete, protect, edit etc.). if you can do this, see if you can find the option to Create Chapters.

then it should play the programme in a window with a timebar or timeline somewhere on-screen. when you get to the bit you want to chop out, pause it (and go back 1 or 2 frames or forward 1 or 2 frames if you want to cut it in exactly the right place) and press the button that allows you to create a chapter marker.

do this at the start and end of adverts, and then go back to the list of all the programmes. now when you press options on the programme you just inserted all the chapert markers into, you should be able to View Chapters. if you have this option, select it and you should see all the chapters. they will alternate with the bits you want to keep and the adverts you want to delete.

then you should be able to highlight/hover over the adverts and press a button to delete them (might need to press the options button again, if you have one).

when you've deleted all the adverts, you should be left with the programme split into its various chapters with no adverts.

you may then be able to recombine all the chapters to make it 1 whole chapter, but this is not necessary, and it's actually handy to keep a long programme or movie split into its chapters.

sorry i've been very vague, but i couldn't find the instruction manual in PDF form on Sony's website so i can only guess what to do going by my experience with my Panasonic recorder.

in your manual, look for the section on creating chapters, that will help you the most. in there will be details on how to create and delete them.

3. TTCircuit

TTCircuit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MuksC,

I tried to do something similar following advice regarding an earlier Sony model, however there does not seem to be an option to edit chapters?

Looking at specs on the Sony website it says that "Playlist Edit -HDD" is not a feature but "Playlist Edit - VR" is. Does that mean that the option of editing from the HDD recording has been discontinued on these latest models?

4. claudius

claudius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Highlight the file and press right arrow to bring up a sub menu, select Edit press Enter, select A-B Erase press Enter. Press Enter when you get to the start point of what you want to delete, then press Enter again when you get to the end of what you want to delete. Then select Yes and the deletion is completed. Carry on similarly to erase all of the advert breaks.

5. mrfreeview

mrfreeview

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thing you need to decide is if you are going to do "video mode Compatible Editing" or "Frame Accurate Editing" page 92 of the handbook - "About Editing Accuracy"

I myself use "Frame Accurate Editing" and then doNOT dub from HDD to DVD at high speed.

The handbook appears to imply that if you use "Video Mode Compatible Editing" and/or dub at high speed then the points that you set to edit may be slightly different on the "finished" DVD.

The editing process takes a bit of getting used to and you need to take care as it is quite easy to delete the complete title!

I first ensure that the Thumb nail for a title is not part of what I want to delete. I move the thumb nail "picture" before I do anything else.

I also then take the title that I want to edit on the HDD and remove ALL of the chapter marks. Page 96 "Combining Multiple Chapters".

Then following page 92 "Erasing & Editing Title" I select "Edit" and A-B erase. Page 93 Erasing a selection of a title (A-B erase is where you should read)

With this tool the "A" part is the start of the section that you wish to erase and the "B" point is the end of the section that you wish to erase. i.e start and end of adverts. With the pause and moving the image 1 frame at a time you can select very accurately the points for "A" and "B"

Once you have selected both points then all data between these points is removed and the before "A" point and the after "B" point is joined.

At this point a new chapter is created on the HDD.

You cannot combine these two chapters.

The reason I remove all chapter marks before starting as there are some limitations of "A-B" edit when very close to a chapter mark.

Once I have edited the program then I DUB at noramal speed to DVD-R and at this point the chapter marks are created on the DVD-R at the correct time intervals.

What you need to note if you are trying to edit a program that you have recorded via DVB-T or on L1 of the SCART is that if there is a change of ASPECT ratio 4:3 to 16:9 or vice versa (pin 8 SCART 12v /6v) then the HXD creates a chapter at this point that you cannot combine. When you try and DUB to a DVD then the machine will create two titles on the DVD, at the point of ASPECT change.

You need to be aware of this point when edit of a movie with adverts, if there is a ratio change. If you do not ensure your edit point "A" and "B" are in the same Aspect ratio then the HXD will create two titles when you try and DUB to DVD.

I hope my post has been of use
    :)