Sony software upgrade

K

keith-cliff

Yes the upgrade for Sony IDTV is now avilable ring Sony now but there is up to a 6 week waiting list and the if you signed up with them they have lost your details so you have to goto the back of the new list,Still my sets only 11.5 months old another 6 weeks is nothing!!!

[This message has been edited by keith-cliff (edited 28-01-2001).]

Thanks for the answer Keith, but was the question??!! ;-)

the ? was in the topic and would only mean anythink to the people that are waiting for the upgrade, so you could say it was a statement to imform

People here can get quite excited when you mention software upgrades. Please explain what the upgrade is.

Right lets get this sorted, the upgrade is so you can get the pay channels on on-digital when you get the Cam module that fits in the back of the TV.It also upgrades the tv to get digital text.
If anyone needs to ask the ? what is the upgrade 4 then they didn't want it in the first place as the subject as been on the forums for the last year.

Hi Keith & newbies
Dont forget, you have to register your idtv with ondigital so you get the cam off them, you also have to register with sony to recieve the software upgrade, which enables the cam to work, and hopefully the digital text to work aswell.

Tim

------------------
Perhap's today is a good day yo die

Originally posted by PeteM:
I finally got mine upgraded juse over a week back. It solves that nasty little problem of needing to return each day!

I guess that as I only had to wait 7 months, and reregister 3 times that I must be a lucky one!

All I need to do now is find out if On Digital are still offering IDTV owners 6 channels free for a year - NTL in their infinite wisdom have decided that people in my area are not worthy of Digital cable so I been stuck with dodgy analogue - until now that is.....

Have you got digital text and the channels set in one place, Not to be a killjoy but a friend got his upgrade last week and the TV crashed Sunday night. Hes thinking of turning it into a fish tank as it will be 3 weeks+ before they can reinstall the software, and his text didn't work from the moment the engineer left. Still i have added you to the list of most hated people to get thier software upgrade before Tim and ME.

Hi all
Yes I am still waiting for my software upgrade, my cam came at christmas after registering three times, luckely I'm still registered with sony for the upgrade, I will just have to be patient and wait for my upgrade.
frown.gif

Tim

------------------

I finally got mine upgraded juse over a week back. It solves that nasty little problem of needing to return each day!

I guess that as I only had to wait 7 months, and reregister 3 times that I must be a lucky one!

All I need to do now is find out if On Digital are still offering IDTV owners 6 channels free for a year - NTL in their infinite wisdom have decided that people in my area are not worthy of Digital cable so I been stuck with dodgy analogue - until now that is.....

Hi Pete
Can you please tell us the make and model of the tv you are having problams with?
Also how long has your cam been working?

cheers
Tim

------------------

Some of you may be aware but this TV is one I was interested in buying. Having read all the postings I telephoned Sony today and asked them How will I know if the Sony set I buy has had the upgrade. They told me that no set out there has had the upgrade required to solve all the problems. I mentioned the few of you who had alreaday had had the upgrade. They said the upgrade that has been done does not solve all the issues and that they are working on a new upgrade now and that it was due for release in 4 weeks at least.
By that I have assumed there is more than one upgrade needed.

Yes my text works :)

Its nothing to write home about though - a bit on the slow side. I had some strange lockups with the BBC weather page the first night it was upgraded, but since then its been fine.

I have noticed some new bugs though:

- Sometimes when you move from a text channel to a normal channel there is no sound (this corrects when you move to a second normal channel).
- The EPG has crashed twice whilst trying to access it - it goes beep beep and the display goes blank, you have to switch to an analogue station and back to restart the digital tuner. Most times it works Ok.

- Last night I suffered a strange lockup when switching to a channel that had just switched to being scrambled. I had to turn it off and back on to recover from that.

Its a lot better than before, but still not perfect, but at least future software upgrades will be over the air.

Perhpas you need to re-register, Sony have probably deleted you again as a joke
smile.gif

I'm new to this IDTV stuff - I've just bought a 32" Sony IDTV. How do I register with Sony for the "cam" (Card access module I guess?)
Many thanks.
PS - The picture on the free to air channels when you switch to RGB is STUNNING! Currently Comet have these cheaper than the same model without the digital tuner.

[This message has been edited by davewc (edited 02-02-2001).]

Hi Dave
First register with ondigital for a cam phone 0870 600 9696
When you have the cam phone sony digital helpline on 0870 600 1717 they will arrange a software upgrade so your cam can be installed.

Tim

------------------

'Does anyone know if the On Digital offer of 6 channels free for a year is still available?'

Offer is still valid .
But beware you also get included a offer for premium channels at reduced rates for the first month ie only one pound each .Which is great but this only runs from when you get the cam card , so if your like me and have problems with your sony tv it will expire before you can use it .

To Tony2
What are the problems you are having with your idtv.

cheers
Tim

To Pete
The offer is still on for 6 channels for a year, I got a letter with my cam saying I could upgrade to all the primary channels for £2 a month for a year.

Tim

------------------

Hi Tim,

My set is the KV28DX20 (standard version - I wan't paying for a set of useless surround speakers just to get 100Hz!).

I don't have the CAM module yet as I haven't got round to phoning On Digital back (working too many late nights means no time for TV watching at the moment :-().

I spoke to On Digital briefly back in September about the CAM module, but didn't take it further at that point as I didn't know then when Sony would get round to doing my upgrade.

Does anyone know if the On Digital offer of 6 channels free for a year is still available?

In my part of West London, NTL is not yet offering Digital Cable, worse still they have just announced a price rise for the dodgy Analogue service and stopped transmitting the National Geographic Channel (now only available to people that switch to Digital, which they won't let me do!!

Hence the possiblility of getting On Digital as a stop gap and down grading my current cable package is very tempting at the moment!

I had my call from sony today, they are coming on monday to install the cam and software upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Does anyone know if my ondigital card from my receiver will work in my idtv,I want to test the cam before the engineer leeves.
In other word's I dont want to activate the smart card in the cam, just incase something's wrong.

Cheers
Tim

------------------

Anybody else out there waiting for the upgrade?

Tim

------------------

Originally posted by Timh:
Anybody else out there waiting for the upgrade?

Tim

The wife's looking to upgrade myself but she's waiting till I get to 40 then she'll swap me for 2 x 20 year olds(smart woman).......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

MARTINC

Martin, Ive only got 2 years to go my self,
frown.gif
but the mrs beat's me by 1 year
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Tim

Tim (smart man)......................I'll just have to alter the wife's birth certificate
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

martinc

I registered about 6 weeks ago & was told that there was a 6 week waiting list. I rang them back last week & they said they'd 'chase it up for me'.
They also asked which upgrade I wanted- is there more than one upgrade option?
Dave

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom