Sony SMPN100B vs Popcorn Hour A100

serpico77

Distinguished Member
I have just purchased myself the SONY SMPN100B from amazon for £54.99
I was just wondering what it is like compared to the POPCORN A100?

will it play MKV 3D SBS files? and does is supports NTFS hard drives?

Thanks

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
No to both for the N100.

Yes to both on the A100 but the A100 does not support 3D videos so any UI elements wont display properly when in 3D mode which also will have to be manually enabled on your TV, only the newer generation Syabas Popcornhour players support 3D SBS/MKV automatically kicking the TV into 3D mode.

serpico77

Distinguished Member
next010 said:
No to both for the N100.

Yes to both on the A100 but the A100 does not support 3D videos so any UI elements wont display properly when in 3D mode which also will have to be manually enabled on your TV, only the newer generation Syabas Popcornhour players support 3D SBS/MKV automatically kicking the TV into 3D mode.

Really? Thats very poor. I have just wasted £55 then. I read it played mkv and supported nfts hard drives

NX3

mkv and mkv 3D SBS are two different things, not many media players yet do 3D mkv's.

"It also supports FAT32 and NTFS HDD via USB" from Sony UK website.

serpico77

Distinguished Member
mkv and mkv 3D SBS are two different things, not many media players yet do 3D mkv's.

"It also supports FAT32 and NTFS HDD via USB" from Sony UK website.

Do you know if it will play any SBS files?

MarkE19

Do you know if it will play any SBS files?
No SBS 3D formats are mentioned in the specs on the Sony web site so I would assume not.

Mark.

serpico77

Distinguished Member
No SBS 3D formats are mentioned in the specs on the Sony web site so I would assume not.

Mark.

I hope it does, my Asus transformer plays them but a bit of stutter but that stutters on all big files.

The files I have are Half SBS

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
The Bluetimes Coopa might be an option, it should handle all your media needs and it has 3D SBS support which should mean it's UI displays normally when in 3D mode on the TV.

I keep forgetting the Sony N100 has MKV support in USB, have you tried playing the files and manually setting the TV into SBS 3D mode, the players UI may be screwed up but they might play.

serpico77

Distinguished Member
The Bluetimes Coopa might be an option, it should handle all your media needs and it has 3D SBS support which should mean it's UI displays normally when in 3D mode on the TV.

I keep forgetting the Sony N100 has MKV support in USB, have you tried playing the files and manually setting the TV into SBS 3D mode, the players UI may be screwed up but they might play.

Not tried it yet as only ordered yesterday.
I have the Popcorn Hour A100 but dont like not having an off button and no optical for when I use my headphones.

Only really bought the Sony as it seemed cheap.

the popcorn hour playes half SBS but the menu and subs are screwub up when viewing it that way

Last edited:

serpico77

Distinguished Member
Just received the Sony media centre and so far very impressed.
Tried a couple of mkv files which are 3D half SBS and even though an error appeared that audio format not supported it played fine so very happy.

Connecting to the Internet was easy and youtube works fine via wifi

serpico77

Distinguished Member
Thanks serpico for this post, i too shall proceed in using this sony device for my mkv files

Hi
I may well be selling my one so if you are interested let me know and I will put it for sale in the classifieds
:smashin:

mrmugenwii

Standard Member
well i bought the sp200 already, havent tried it though. Want to play sbs files via usb as i dont want to loose quality over streaming and stuff. I will then plug it straight to the tv. The tv will be connected to my receiver, and voila. thanks

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom