Sony SMP N100 You Tube Streaming

jb000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, I have tried to look as far back to see if there was a solution to my problem, but I can't seem to find anything similar.

I have a Sony SMP N100 net box which I use to stream you tube videos to my TV. I have noticed that the box bypasses the videos where you tube has put adverts or popups. They are shown on a normal pc or laptop but the sony netbox seems to filter these out. Is there any way for the sony netbox to accept these videos as you tube seem to be placing more adverts and the like on the videos nowadays.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks jb000

I wouldn't think so, there are multiple video types on Youtube, the Sony box is probably using a private Youtube access method which gives it direct links to H.264/MP4 videos on Youtube. When you play on PC you are looking at Flash H.264/FLV videos which is how you see Flash overlay advertisements.

If the Sony isn't displaying them then either the videos don't exist as Youtube hasn't made an MP4 available or Sony are deliberate filtering the results, both are server side issues and nothing you can do about I would guess.

Syabas Popbox v8 and the Boxee Box actually displays Flash advertisements in Youtube so they are reading the Flash/FLV videos on Youtube if considering another player, if you know of an example I can test those players later.

Why would you want adverts rather than avoiding them ?

I believe his problem is that the N100 is not displaying videos which have advertisements on them so you have no video to play at all.

Why would you want adverts rather than avoiding them ?

Thanks for replies.

It's not that I want the adverts, it's the videos that display the adverts that are not showing on search. So lets say that you are watching a film that is in 5 parts. You can only see parts 2 3 4 & 5 because part 1 has a pop up advert that the netbox is somehow filtering out.

Youtube on a PC will net different (more) results than on a media box, mobile phone or other platforms due to content restrictions from copyright holders. Anyone who uploads a video gets to select which platforms can view the video. PC is the only way to be able to access all videos. Its not a fault of your Sony box, Android, WDTV, Samsung, Sony tv and all other non-PC's have the same restrictions.

Thanks for replies, so I suppose it's something that I will live with for now. When I get a better box later on, it will be something that I will especially look out for

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom