Sony Smartlink....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by geeWcee, Nov 17, 2004.

1. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have a sony freeview box that apparently has the smartlink option. I currently have a sony smartlink video player but for some reason it does not work with the freeview box using smartlink.
    Anyway, can any Sony DVD recorder owners confirm that they have been able to use the smartlink with their sony freeview box before I decide which DVD recorder to get. If smartlink does work I will go for a Sony, if not I'll go for a Panny...

Cheers.

2. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't speak for Sony owners, but I couldn't get it to work with my JVC DR-M10.

3. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think smartlink is exclusive to sony gear thats why.
    Anyone else?

4. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not exactly. Some similar systems ( EasyLink , QLINK ) are ( should be ) compatibile to each other. I have Sony TV and Pio 520 connected by RGB cable ( it's a must ) and use smartlink with no problems at all.

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm not sure which feature of Smartlink you are talking about with a video player. But I understand that Smartlink is compatible with similar systems from other manufacturers, I think Panasonic call it Q-link.
    When I set up my Pioneer 420 it downloaded all the Sony TV's channel settings and names and the TV screen format (16:9). The 420 seems to check this because I think the 4:3 option is greyed out.
    It switches the TV to the correct AV input if necessary when turned on, and if I retune the TV in any way I get a Sony message on the screen saying that 'Smartlink is downloading information'.
    I can also record from the TV to the 420 with a 'one button press' which Sony say in the TV manual is part of Smartlink.

Not sure what else, if anything, it should do.

My freeview box timer (Grundig) wil turn the 420 on and off, but while this seems a good idea, as I've said elsewhere, it gets annoying because as long as the 420 is set to Auto Start it starts recording as soon as the STB is turned on. I gather Pannys do this too. Also, it is incompatible with full RGB loop through from STB to 420 to TV as the STB recorder out cannot be used (no RGB). But as Sony STB has s-video on its recorder out, you could use this.

Tosh DVD is different and uses an IR transmitter which may or may not work with your STB,

6. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps we are talking about the same thing. Like FIREWIRE, i-Link and IEEE 1394 - all the same protocol.

Perhaps even today i'm going to test this theory - my Philips TV should communicate with my Pioneer DVD Recorder.

7. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Eddyad,

just to clarify, on the sony freeview box you can set an option to record a future program using the EPG. As long as the video is a smartlink it should automatically activate the video recorder when said program starts. Except for some reason it doesnt work with my video player. No big deal as I am about to get rid of it. But I did wonder if people with sony DVD recorders have got the feature working?

8. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    im using smartlink on my sony VTX D800U connected to a panasonic DMR E85H via RGB scart and it works fine, if you have two scarts on the vcr make sure its in the one that supports the smartlink signal

9. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using exactly same E85/800U set-up and confirm it works perfectly.

However using the vcr scart of the sony freeview I'm pretty sure it's not rgb. I can only record composite to the Panasonic. Sony vcr output can be set to 'auto' or 'pal'. In auto it picks best quality available but only if the scart it's connected to has smartlink - the E85 AV2 doesn't, only its AV1 TV output. If you set the panasonic connection to 'rgb' you see a blank screen.

The recrodings made still look excellent though, and of course they're played back to TV over component (in my case with viera) or rgb so maybe this ups the quality from the composite?

Before anyone points out I could just record via the viera freeview tuner I should say that the latter is not 7 day (presumably waiting for upgrade) and only now/next. By contrast the Sony freeview epg is brilliant interface (very clunky/unintuitive on viera - only criticism I have) and 7 day.

Adrian

10. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yer I have made sure......maybe its just an incompatibility with my old Sony VCR.

11. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the VCR output of the Sony Freeview outputs s-video as well as composite. So if you E85 will take it, it is better than composite

12. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right that it can output s-video (as well as rgb), but according to manual it will only do this if the scart it's connected to has smartlink and can accept s-video. The sony 800u vcr output can only be set to 'auto' (best quality set by smartlink-equipped scart it's connected to) or 'PAL' which I presume is composite.If you set the Pana E85 AV2 input to s-video you get a b&w picture which confirms the sony box is not sending s-video. If you set the E85 input to rgb you get a blank screen.

Only the sony TV-out scart is freely selectable to rgb, s-video or composite but if you use this you can't take advantage of the epg event timer.

Funny how current state of AV complexity always requires a compromise somewhere along the line!

Adrian

13. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh :(
    I had a similar problem with Grundig STB - but its VCR out only has composite - no s-video. I decide quality over-rode convenience and wired the STB TV-RGB out through my Pioneer 420 then from the 420 to the TV.
    The STB timer will change channels on the TV out when necessary, providing it is left turned on. (If it is off, then when it turns on under timer control there is no TV out at all).
    I have to set the 420 timer as well as the STB, but setting two timers and having a complete RGB path all the time is better than composite for recording. RGB playback of composite recording just isn't as good as the full RGB arrangement.
    This setup depends on the recorder's scart pass-through facilities.

As you say, always a compromise somewhere.

14. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    how much easier would it be if they made all scarts the same i.e support all modes, it cant cost them that much more surely :confused:

15. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, but I should point out that the recordings made on E85 from composite video feed from Sony freeview box in SP mode (haven't even tried XP) are excellent. I imagine I'd see a difference if RGB was possible but I'm not conscious of any quality shortfall in the wayI am when I transfer vcr recordings to the E85.

For the convenience of setting only one timer (and that's a cinch via the Sony epg) I'll stick to recording composite but can understand why you want all-rgb set-up.

Adrian

16. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all. I have Pio 520 and Sony TV. Both are connected with Smart Link.

== How did you manage to do that..When I set up my Pioneer 520 for a first time I used Smart Link to download the TV stations and the only effect I got was the the same Tv stations order in my Pio.
    NO STATIONS NAMEs TRANSFERRED AT ALL !

Agreed.

Besides I wonder if you know that Smart Link socket in Sony TV DO NOT operate with RGB signal.

17. jopereira

jopereira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add up: my Pioneer 720-H DVD recorder downloaded correctly both stations and their names from my (7-years old) Philips TV. Just had to connect to SCART 2 on TV, since SCART 1 seems to have no EasyLink (strange...).

18. ernet

ernet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Sony KV- 36FQ80. It has Scart 3 as Smart Link. Don't know why it doesn't work.
    :cool:

19. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When i first connected the 420 I used AV2 on the TV in composite mode. The TV AV1 (RGB) was in use by my Freeview STB. I wired the lot up as per 420 manual and went through the "Getting Started, Downloading channels from your TV". I've now changed to an RGB passthrough set-up so don't know if anything has changed.