Sony Smartlink - Digibox/VCR

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Jonnyw, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Jonnyw

Jonnyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read all the information out there on how to get this option to work but I am still having no look.

I have just bought sonys freeview box and I have a sony 820 video. All connections and menus appear to be set right I have tried numerous different scart lead but I still cannot get video to work with the EPG.

The EPG works, sets the box to the right station, tells me that it is recording but the video never moves.

Please can anyone help?

2. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took part in a thread with guy with 820 and his was working fine! Have you got 'TV Direct Record' set to on? Is your freeview box connected to VCR's smartlink scart? Sorry if these sound elementary.

I can't get epg recording to work with Sony 810 vcr and Sony tech help tell me it's not compatible despite being sony and despite being smartlink!

3. red_devil

red_devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Adrianl is was me on that thread. Jonny this is the set-up that I have:

Fully connected SCART (supplied with digibox) from VCR SCART on the digibox to L1 on the VCR
    TV SCART connector on the digibox to the TV

Menu Settings:
    In the digibox menu - set the Smartlink to 'ON'
    In the VCR install menu highlight Smartlink and push the right hand direction button on the remote (fast forward button) Change the 'Direct TV record' to ON

This should work now.

Let me know how you get on.

Red Devil :devil:

4. Jonnyw

Jonnyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried everything you all suggested:

2No fully wired SCARTs (one from a friends digibox) connected into L1 and the TV. (Smartlink symbol lights up on video)

Digibox - Smartlink set to 'ON'
    VCR - Direct TV Record 'ON'

Set the EPG to record a program, Digibox selects the program at the required time, video does absolutely NOTHING!!!!

I'm completely stumped, even tried another digibox!

Im not missing something simple am I? Do I have to set the video up in any other way? I am just inserting a tape and leaving it switched on. Is that correct? HELP ME!!!!

5. red_devil

red_devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only difference i can see is that I don't have a fully connected SCART going to my TV! The Smartlink indicator is not on with my set-up.

I'll check other settings tonight and post tomorrow, ok.

If it works it should power up the VCR from standby, I was well impressed when it worked. The only thing I couldn't do was to switch to analogue TV when recording using Smartlink. I pushed the TV/DTT button and the machine told me it was recording. Duh, if i didn't know that already!

6. JohnW14

JohnW14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I set up my girlfriend's system, I found the Smartlink from the TV was messing up the Smartlink from the freeview box. I arranged it so that the TV Scart from the freeview box was connected to one of the non-Smartlink Scarts on the TV, leaving just the box and VCR using Smartlink.

With this set-up it works almost every time simply by pressing the record button in the EPG and leaving the VCR tuned to L1.

Try this and see if it helps.

7. Jonnyw

Jonnyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everybody I have finally got it to work! It appear that it must have been the Smartlink on the TV confusing the Digibox. Thanks again

8. red_devil

red_devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonnyw,

Now you have Smartlink working can you answer a question for me please?

When the VCR is recording using the EPG event timer, if you push the DTT/TV button on the remote, do you switch to analogue TV? If I do that on mine, it tells me that this event is recording and it can't switch to the analogue TV. I'd like to be able to switch over as I may want to watch something else. The DTT/TV button works fine if I set the VCR manually though.

Thanks in advance

Red Devil :devil: