1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony "Smart" Setting v Panasonic "Auto"

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Paul Cooksley, Dec 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just wondered what other peoples opinions are of these modes...

Ok, so I know generally, these modes are what I call "Curry's showroom display modes" !! ie - if you don't know or understand about picture formats, then this is the answer !

But:

Having owned two 32" CRT Panasonics in the space of 1 month and (because of faults) I have exchanged these to a Sony 32" CRT widescreen, I was interested to note that the Sony set seems to display or stretch the picture in this "Smart" mode much better than the Panasonic "Auto" mode.

Ok, so I know the edges are stretched, but I have to say, watching 4:3 material on this Sony set is actually a feasable option under the "Smart" mode - whereas the Panasonic "Auto" was just too stretched and artificial.

Just wondered if this is my eyes deceiving me, or does anyone else think the Sony brand cope better with this (usually awful) mode.

As I say, the Panny I had (TX32PS500) dealt with this very badly - so much so - 4:3 just looked awful.

So, what do you think??

2. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Only ever seen the Sony setting but I like to stretch 2.235 or whatever it ratio to fill the screen with the smart setting.

Yes there's a slight loss in quality but I can put up with it.

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You are not imagining it i Had a panasonic[for a week]their full screen ratio is tripe.Just for reference toshibas mode is pretty effective.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I'm happy with the way the Panny Auto alters the aspect ratio by stretching the sides and leaving the middle alone.

But I hate the way the height jumps up and down when black bars are detected top and bottom.

I believe the older Pannys had a choice in the matter.

Of course, this problem is reduced as more proper widescreen broadcasts become available.