1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SLV-SE740 VCR probs

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by lizmcg, Feb 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. lizmcg

lizmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I connected this VCR successfully to my 10yr old Sony TV and Sony Freeview box after setting a few stations manually the menu function stopped working. Today I bought a hitachi scart lead and tried again. Initially the menu appeared on the screen but then disappeared. I cannot get the menu to appear or even play a video. The display window says auto but the screen stays black. I realise I'm missing something basic here but would appreciate some help, it's driving me nuts!

Also, as my old TV won't be smartlink capable does that mean my VCR/digibox can't use it. Help on either of these points would be much appreciated by a gal who used to have a man that could but is finding technology overwhelming!

Thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,912
    Liz,
    Make sure you have the scart lead plugged into the correct scart socket on the SLV-SE740 usually marked AV1......not the "Decoder" scart socket and make sure it is plugged in all the way home at both the vcr and tv end.
    On your Tv remote if it is the original Sony one you are using press the button near the top rhs....it has an icon of a small tv screen with an arrowed line in it.....press this repeatedly until you see AV1 appear on the screen...that should then get you a picture from the vcr.

3. lizmcg

lizmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jaycee. I've checked the SCART connections which are in the right place and firm. There are two buttons on the TV remote as you describe. The top one with arrow pointing into box gives me 1, 2 or 3. The bottom one with arrow pointing out of box gives me 1, 2, 3, or TV. No Av on either. I switched everything off to check the cables and when it all came back on the video is not even displaying the time. The display panel is lit up with dashes where the time should be. I can't understand why the menu function does not operate at all and am wondering if the VCR is faulty.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Moving to VCR forum.

5. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,912
    Yes it sounds as though there could be a fault.....although branded Sony this model is actually a rebranded Samsung and similar symptoms are commonplace on these where a chip called an eprom gets corrupted....reasonably straightforward for a good engineer to sort out!

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,575
    The dashes in the display are normal after removing power, the clock just needs resetting. :smashin:

Try removing the Freeview box & concentrate on the VCR first. From what you have decribed, it sounds as though the manual tuning that you have done is interfering with the RF output channel of the VCR. Just connect the aerial to the VCR & the scart to the TV (AV1 as previously advised). If all is well in this setup, refer to the manual for changing the RF output channel or, if you're happy to run scart only & the VCR has the option, switch it off.

Once everything is working on the VCR front, re-connect the Freeview box. Any problems at this stage are again likely to be as a result of the RF output of the Freeview box conflicting with a broadcast channel or the VCR. The final connections should be:

Aerial to Freeview, Freeview RF to VCR aerial, VCR RF to TV (if required).

You may need to experiment with scart depending on what connections are available. Try connecting Freeview to the TV AV1 & the VCR to the Freeview's 2nd scart. This should allow you to record Freeview on the appropriate VCR AV channel. With the Freeview box in standby, the VCR signal should be passed through to the TV AV1.

If you don't have a manual you can download one here. Note the suffix at the end of the model number to ensure you get the right one.

7. lizmcg

lizmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for that Crocodile. The VCR works ok without the digibox so at least I know it's not faulty. However when reconnected to freeview the probs are back.

At the moment Freeview is connected to TV. 1 SCART from VCR to freeview 2nd SCART and other SCART from 2nd VCR slot to TV. I assume the loop through cable is not required when VCR SCART lead used. Any further advice gratefully received. I have manuals for TV, VCR and Freeview. Cabling matches the instructions from the satellite manual except for Scart from VCR instead of loop through cable.

8. lizmcg

lizmcg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am pleased to say that my vcr is now working with the digibox. The smartlink facility isn't though which is a disappointment. I bought this particular model because it had smartlink and now wish I had gone for a different model. I wonder, in the light of it being a Samsung in the guise of Sony, how you can ever be sure what you're buying these days.

9. Dsmith

Dsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm new to all this forum stuff. I've got a problem with a Sony SLV-SE 740 VCR too. I've got a Sony KD-28L11u Sony TV with built in freeview, just got a ditial aerial put up and can get freeview, but don't know how to tune my VCR to the freeview channels as I've lost my manual for the VCR, any ideas greatly appreicated.
    Currently, digital aerial lead into back of TV, Scart from VCR to TV + scart to pioneer DVD cinema system. THe video tuned the anolog stations with smart link.

Regards Daz

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Did you bother reading the replies to the same question you asked elsewhere?

Please only ask your questions once, thanks.

11. Dsmith

Dsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers just found them. Much appreciated to all. GOt it working