Sony Sky Digibox not moving from Standby - Can someone Diagnose??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by iandb0812, Aug 31, 2007.

1. iandb0812

iandb0812
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony Sky Digibox in my bedroom which all of a sudden has decided to not work. I bought it as used a couple of years ago so I have no idea of the actual age (forgot to note the model number this morning as well) I have left it unplugged for a while in case it was a Sky update thing that had frozen it, but to no avail.

It has power into it as the red Standby LED is on but it will not go any further using either the remote or by using the buttons on the front panel. Any ideas :lease:

Thanks
    Ian

2. xander73

xander73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Found this for you...

Digibox problems

Sony VTX models

Failure of the power supply diodes is the most common fault. This can result in a Digibox that is "stuck in standby" or completely dead.

Thanks to Michael Dranfield of Digifix for this info. (01298) 73989. He will undertake repairs to all models for around £50. If the fault is simple and you can solder then kits and fans are available from Satcure and possibly other places (Maplin?)

3. finchy2k40

finchy2k40
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dont know if this is any use to you, but a few months ago our sky box wouldnt come out of standby. rang sky, they sent an engineer and he diagnosed it as a fault on skys behalf, he said they had tried to send an update and it had corrupted. the box isnt a sony, however i would ring them anyways

hope this was of some help

4. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You may be throwing £50 away. We have seen dozens of these in our workshop. If the power supply has failed, then yes, may be fixed for £50.
    Normally its within the digital processing section, this is an area of the set that comes under 'restricted technology' to prevent anyone reverse engineering the Sky encryption and needs some serious kit to replace the components. Sony therefore has a fixed price exchange for these items. Expect to pay about £100 - which in my book makes it beyond economic repair.

If you only have it for the free to view programs - pick up a replacement from the likes of www.cpc.co.uk, i think part number SE00561 but check the specification...Or if on a subscription package - ring Sky and tell them you need to cancel as you cannot afford to have it replaced etc. etc. from past experience they will jump through hoops to keep you as a customer providing you sign up for another year...