Sony Sky box crashes when I change channels

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Easybourne, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Easybourne

Easybourne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi All,

Just got a new Sony Sky box after my old Amstrad died a couple of weeks ago. I must say, I'm not overly impressed.

Every couple of days, the box will crash when changing channels. I get an onscreen message saying "there is a technical fault with this channel". If I change back to the channel I was previously watching, I get the same message on screen. This message will appear on all channels once this has occured.

The only way to fix it is to unplug the box and restart. This is not as easy as it sounds because the box is plugged in to a 6-way extension behind the TV and tucked under the cabinet!

Because I can't face calling Sky again and wasting hours of my time and 8p per minute in their appalling customer "service" line, I want you opinions on whether this is somthing that may go away upon the next software update, or should I just get freeview?

Thanks for your input...

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I don't think so. Sony stopped manufacturing them years ago. I think you got a second-hand one.

I suggest you buy a more modern Digibox off eBay or from your local paper. You can get a reasonable one for as little as £30.

3. Big Slick KA

Big Slick KA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The same happens to my Thompson Sky+ box, I get no response at all from the remote, the only way I can sort it out is to unplug the power cable.

This is a real pain in the butt if im recording something as its lost along with the power.

Sigh

Ah well, nothings perfect :mad:

BS