Sony shinanigans ...Grr

Pauly S

Hi Chaps, first post and all that, ive been doing home cinema for years but never had any issues with old style rca phono style systems. But this digital stuff is another level.
I need some help, ill explain what i have .Its a Sony STRDN1040 AV AMP running 5.1 and a Yamaha sub, a new Android Sony tv , model number KD-49XH8196.
Ive also got a dual tuner freesat hd 1 tb recorder (hdmi) , blue ray(hdmi), cd player,(optical) and mini disc recorder player(optical) all running through the Av amp.The Sony tv has netflix built in, as does the freesat recorder. Ive discovered i get a much better picture using the in built tv netflix, and the sound is barn storming! the neighbours love it when their coffee slides off the coffee table and hits the deck! However this is where the problem started, i was using the tv as basicly a monitor through a normal hdmi port on the tv, the bravia link all worked and the amp and tv turned on and off together, great. Now to use the in built tv netflix ive had to use a ARC hdmi port on the tv, which worked fine for about 25 mins then the sound just turns off, picture is fine, but no sound. The temp cure is just turn off and turn on again using the tv remote, which switches the tv and amp back on again and all is good for 15 mins or so ,then Poof ! no sound again, on and off restores it again.I didnt get any manual with the tv, and the manual with amp was next to useless tbh.Its about an inch thick and all english.
I guess its the way something is set up,my first idea is going to be a hard reset on the amp and go from there.But thats a ball ache and theres loads of settings that need to be configured again, so im hesitant to do that. Theres also a visual AMP set up page, generated by the amp, which is displayed on the tv, but thats vanished into the ether and i cant see it anymore.Ive also noted the tv has three units on HDMI 3, the blue ray, the amp,and another unidentified, but i wonder if thats because it can see the available hdmi units on the amp.Its been suggested the hdmi cable from the amp to the tv could be causing it, tbh its an ebay special at around 6 metres long, its been great until ive decided to use the in built netflix.im happy to change it for a " hi speed cable" if needs must.
I can get a list of settings when i can see the amp page again, the remote for the amp is another level with a zillion features.
All views and comments happily received .

unoduo

Hi Chaps, first post and all that, ive been doing home cinema for years but never had any issues with old style rca phono style systems. But this digital stuff is another level.
I need some help, ill explain what i have .Its a Sony STRDN1040 AV AMP running 5.1 and a Yamaha sub, a new Android Sony tv , model number KD-49XH8196.
Ive also got a dual tuner freesat hd 1 tb recorder (hdmi) , blue ray(hdmi), cd player,(optical) and mini disc recorder player(optical) all running through the Av amp.The Sony tv has netflix built in, as does the freesat recorder. Ive discovered i get a much better picture using the in built tv netflix, and the sound is barn storming! the neighbours love it when their coffee slides off the coffee table and hits the deck! However this is where the problem started, i was using the tv as basicly a monitor through a normal hdmi port on the tv, the bravia link all worked and the amp and tv turned on and off together, great. Now to use the in built tv netflix ive had to use a ARC hdmi port on the tv, which worked fine for about 25 mins then the sound just turns off, picture is fine, but no sound. The temp cure is just turn off and turn on again using the tv remote, which switches the tv and amp back on again and all is good for 15 mins or so ,then Poof ! no sound again, on and off restores it again.I didnt get any manual with the tv, and the manual with amp was next to useless tbh.Its about an inch thick and all english.
I guess its the way something is set up,my first idea is going to be a hard reset on the amp and go from there.But thats a ball ache and theres loads of settings that need to be configured again, so im hesitant to do that. Theres also a visual AMP set up page, generated by the amp, which is displayed on the tv, but thats vanished into the ether and i cant see it anymore.Ive also noted the tv has three units on HDMI 3, the blue ray, the amp,and another unidentified, but i wonder if thats because it can see the available hdmi units on the amp.Its been suggested the hdmi cable from the amp to the tv could be causing it, tbh its an ebay special at around 6 metres long, its been great until ive decided to use the in built netflix.im happy to change it for a " hi speed cable" if needs must.
I can get a list of settings when i can see the amp page again, the remote for the amp is another level with a zillion features.
All views and comments happily received .
To display the settings on the Sony 1040 you’ll need to press the ”AMP“ button on its remote (second row down, second from the right) then press the blue “HOME” button. You may need to switch your tv to the correct hdmi input (sounds like hdmi 3 in your case).

i suggest you make sure that “hdmi control” is enabled on the amp (in the settings), check the amp appears in the BraviaSync device list on the tv, check the tv audio output settings are correct & yes - try another hdmi cable.

Last edited:

Pauly S

To display the settings on the Sony 1040 you’ll need to press the ”AMP“ button on its remote (second row down, second from the right) then press the blue “HOME” button. You may need to switch your tv to the correct hdmi input (sounds like hdmi 3 in your case).
Thanks UNO, ill give that a look in the daylight and report back

Pauly S

Ok fellas , what ive found. Ive a freesat hd box with built in netflix, which shares the same internet connection as the netflix player in the Sony tv. The freesat netflix player plays the sound faultlessly using the same amp , internet connection etc. Ive tried the new hdmi lead between the amp and tv and it made no difference, even though it was a certified lead from amazon,really chunky and thick, but no difference, the sound just disappears after about 20 mins,up to that point its fine, in marvellous 5.1.So i tried switching the amp on and off in its dead mode without restarting the tv,no change, still dead. restart the tv without restarting the amp, sound restored.So i figured it must be the tv. Ive also restarted the fibre modem to clear the cache in the modem,no change.
So i checked the netflix software, its version 8.3.1. build 4546 Theres an option to un-install the netflix updates and roll back to version 7.2.1 build 3551 . so i did that and thats fixed it ! Ill properly install the hi quality lead anyways as its 8k rated. but all this because of a blinking netflix programming problem, a bug!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom