Sony SDR DN1030 - 'out of range'

Musings

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all...I'm hoping you can help me.

I have the Sony 1030 receiver - recently purchased and all set up and working well...until this evening. Now when I try to get any video output from it my TV just flickers and gives me an 'out of range' message. I haven't touched the settings and have no idea why this has suddenly started happening.

When I say video output - I am running a Sony BDP S350 blu ray player through it and my laptop (through HDMI on video 1) and both now give me the same message despite both working fine yesterday.

My TV is also Sony (KDL 37P3020).

I have gone through forums and based on related issues other people have posted (problems with blu ray player connected directly to TV) I have played with all the potential audio and video settings on the TV, blu ray and laptop but with no luck. I can't even seem to get the GUI menu up now to tinker with the settings on the receiver. I'm totally stumped and very frustrated!

Any help or advice would be (extremely) gratefully received! :lease:

Thanks

Try a re-initialisation. Switch off the unit then hold the power button down for 5secs until it says cleared - then setup again.

Tried reinstallation and still having the same problem. Any other ideas?

An update...

Got the unit replaced. Straight out of the box I am having the same problem. If its the receiver outputting at a resolution my TV can't handle then I'm confused as to why the original unit worked to start with - and why would this be the case straight out the box?

I can only assume that there are compatibility issues (doubtful - all Sony products) or a settings issue with my TV. I have been through the TV settings over and over and I just can't seem to locate anything that will help.

Short of trying a different receiver all together - which I really don't want to do - I am completely stumped!

Has anyone got any ideas? Any ideas at all?!

Thanks

Hi, have you tried a different HDMI cable, and out of interest how long is your cable from AVR to TV?

Adam.

Ok...so another update.

I tried a different HDMI cable as per Adam's suggestion and it worked. Thanks Adam. I should have done this before I just couldn't believe the cable would be causing the issue - especially when the system worked to begin with.

It's weird - the HDMI cable I'm now using is the crappy one I got with an old Sky TV box. The one I was using was like £35!

I'm glad it's working but can anyone tell me why? I'm guessing the quality HDMI cable was just asking my old-ish TV to work to hard? Sending it a signal it couldn't cope with? Is that fair to say? I would have thought its unlikely that the cable is faulty! Interestingly, I explored the problem a little bit and connected my laptop directly to the TV with the same cable - I got the same 'out of range' problem and it worked ok with different (crappier) cable.

Ideally - I upgrade my TV, I don't get this problem in future?? :confused:

FYI - Sony are clueless.

Thanks y'all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom