1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SCD-XB790 Connectivity

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by rozel, Mar 29, 2005.

1. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

I have just purchased the above to see how SACD stacks up with DVD Audio. I appreciate that this thing is not state of the art but I picked it up for 200 quid and it enjoys decent reviews SACD-wise. I have two questions: -

1. The setup instructions state that connecting up via the digital output will only reproduce SACD/CD stereo and that to enjoy SACD Multi-channel surround, necessitates connecting via the analogue 5.1 outputs to my surround amp. Given that I was always under the belief that digital is better, is this not a compromise or a contadiction in terms somewhat? Could some wise person please throw some light on this please, A. specifically as it relates to this matter here and B. the more general and broader question - digital Vs Analogue 5.1 surround connectivity.

2. I am replacing a vintage Marantz CD-72 CD (Mk1) player with this unit and I've read that whilst the Sony is good SACD-wise, it doesn't excel with CD playback. Given the Marantz is now well over 15 years old, can I expect better results with the Sony?

TIA

Paul