1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SAVE535, 835 or Elac Cinema XL

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by caersiddi, May 1, 2003.

1. caersiddi

caersiddi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

the more I look the more confused I get. :confused:

I've got a Sony STR-DE585 Receiver and I want to buy some surround speakers to go with it.

I've seen the Sony SA-VE535 for around £300 and the Sony SA-VE835 for around £370.

I've also seen/heard the Elac Cinema 2 system, which is the same as the Cinema XL, but without the XL centre speaker, that was £499 but available elsewhere for £410.

Would I be wasting my money pairing the Elac speakers with the amp I've got?

I assume that the Sony speakers would go perfectly with the amp, but I'm just wondering if I'd get more out of the system with the Elac speakers, or would I not hear the difference because of the amp.

The reason for these speaker choices is space.
    I did look at the Misson M7S but the size of the subwoofer was too big for the living room. :(

Thanks for any help

2. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey ho!

Don't mis-assume that just cause they're the same brand, they'll be right for the amp. from experience, Sony Pascal speakers are major nasty. Boomy bass, thin sound from the sattelites and harsh at high volume.

Go for the Elac's, absolutely superb for the money and well worth a shot.

Westy :smashin:

3. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    INHO, I actually like the 835 speaker system from Sony, as do some other people on this forum.

Whilst I do know some people do not like them, I would just like to ask Westy if he has listened to the 835 system, as they are an improvement on sony's previous attempts.

Every listener has different tastes though, so best thing to do is try and demo the different speaker systems.

Ricky

4. westy1507

westy1507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Yum Yum,

Yep, i've heard and hated! A firend of mine had them as part of a package deal with a budget Sony reciever and i found them awful. Compared to the Acoustic Energy Aego 5 they're very thin and i just found them lacking. I really wanted to like them as the design is very good and they look like they're capable on paper, but as you say - different tastes.

I'd stick with the Elac, the same friend sold the Sony's and bought the Elac Cinema 1 pack and that was a massive difference.

Like they say though, horses for courses ;)

Westy

5. caersiddi

caersiddi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both for your comments.

I'm going to London week after next so I'm bound to find somewhere where I can audition both sets.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

:)

6. caersiddi

caersiddi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to London, but could find no-where that sold Elac speakers.

HiFi Experience, listed as a supplier on Sennheiser's web site http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/UDP05.htm hadn't even heard of Elac.

Anyway I've now seen Mission M7S in the flesh and the sub-woofer doesn't seem to be as big as I had thought.

I've seen them at a very good price on the web.

I'll tell you where once I've bought them, don't want everybody else to but them before me!

:)

7. tony79

tony79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    well im sorry to dissagree with you but ive heard the elacs in action with a couple of epic fims and the sound is nowhere near that of the 835s. Ok they arent the greatest when it comes to music though if youve got a 5.1 system then the likelyhood is youve bought it for movies and for that its great for a satalite speaker. Not as good as the kef eggs but good all the same.

8. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have the Sony 835's as well...fantastic little speakers.
    Big sound, crisp and clear.
    My mate has the B&W surround kit, and to my ears, there's very little in it. The sound from the pascals is warm and rich.
    He has very wooden floors in his place which may be the reason that his B&W's don't sound much better (even tho they're 3 x the price !!)