Sony/Samsung/Panasonic LED/Plasma

Kahayes

All this reading around, researching, looking for best prices etc. It's madness! It's all flooding back to me from my days of buying my first Plasma, a 506XDE, and I swore at the time... NEVER AGAIN!! It drives me mental.

I use my TV mainly as a TV - so it needs to be good with general SD content, Sky HD content, occasional BluRay, and I guess BR3D going forward. I don't use it for gaming at all. I do like sport though so non-juddering panning would be great.

I'm now stuck between the following, in no particular order...

Sony 55 or 65 HX923 LED
Samsung 64D8000 Plasma
Samsung 55D8000 LED
Panasonic 55VT30 Plasma

Given my requirements, and forgetting about the fact some are bigger than others (60+ will be a bit of a push in the room but might be ok) is there one there you reckon will stand out as a winner? I know there are very few reviews at the moment for these sets, but I'm sure some of you will have formed reasonably educated opinions based on a better general knowledge of this stuff than I have!:D

Given the pricing of the sets mentioned budget is not an issue if I am seeing significant improvements over a cheaper set, but cash in the bank is always worth having so I'm not looking to throw money at minor improvements that I won't usually notice.

Thanks for any advice!:)

Razorclam

Given what you said about pricing and un used features, maybe check out the sammy ps59d6900. I am prolly going to get one. Have been juggling between that and the d8000 plasma. From what I have found out, it's the same as the 8000 except for a few pointless bells and whistles.
And, best of all, you can get a 59" 6900 for less than a 51" 8000.

*edit.
Wow. Just noticed that the 59" 6900 is £1500 cheaper than the 64 8000.
Think of all the shiny gear you could buy with that. New receiver, speakers, 100 blu ray films!!

Last edited:

RohanM

In a similar position myself - but at the 50" size. Haven't seen the 50VT30 in the flesh; the GT models look OK but all the Sammy 6900 plasmas I have seen have been poor with moving objects, like footballs or even the moving 'heads' in the opening sequence of the BBC 'Eggheads' quiz show where the moving circles which have the contestants heads 'break up' (i.e gets broken up into slices instead of staying as a whole). In comparison, the Panny plasmas handled this fine.

This was blatantly obvious and you did not have to look for it, as it were.

for me, that makes the price difference irrelevant...

Razorclam

Interesting.
Where were you able to see these sets playing the same content? I've nit been able to find them yet. Although I've only checked out 2 currys stores.

RohanM

Theclam2008 said:
Interesting.
Where were you able to see these sets playing the same content? I've nit been able to find them yet. Although I've only checked out 2 currys stores.

John Lewis in Kingston (Surrey) and Brent Cross.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom