• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony, samsung 46" LED

ngac

Established Member
Been looking at f7000, f8000, w8,w9 but trying to decide on one is hard.

I don't do any gaming or much blurays. Defo no 3d!

Most my viewing is sd and hd streaming, and sport. Maybe going to switch to plex if in built app good.

Are there alternatives I've not thought of, and are these overkill?

DDAA

Established Member
SD doesn't seem to look that good on any LED's I've seen - I just bought a w905, my old SD Sky box looks a bit rough on it but the freeview HD isn't too bad for most channels and I've yet to really fiddle so hopefully it can be improved further.

I was borrowing a bottom of the line plasma recently and SD actually looked fine on it - not earth shattering but better than some of the much more expensive LED's.

If you're not gaming maybe do some research on the Panasonic ST60 - an affordable screen, last of the plasma's but still available at some Panasonic stores if you ring around. I know it was weak for input lag but as you don't game it's no problem, so the main thing to look at is if it struggles with 50hz as some of the other new Panasonic plasma's do - there have been complaints about motion on the GT and VT's but I didn't really check out the ST60 enough to know how it handles SD TV. If there are none left on the market then going as high as the W9 seems a bit excessive if you're not really going to be using many HD sources, you might be able to find something much cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom