• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony SA-WX900

F

faggy292

Saw one of these subs in the sony centre in oxford today, visually it looked really impressive, as it was massive! Also at 1000w of power for only £499 it seemed a good price.
But has anybody actually heard one of these working? Are they really any good?

Timbo21

Prominent Member
I heard a couple of Sony subs at the 'What-Hi-Fi' 2005 exhibition. They were right next to each other, and on Spiderman 2 they gave a very impressive kick in the chest, which I really felt. I then did a search to try & find out what they were, and, IIRC, they were the SA-WX900's.

morksbeanbag

Established Member
I have one, it really is very powerful indeed. They are huge subs and i don't know if you tried picking one up but they are super heavy too as they use 3 large magnets per driver (there are two 12" drivers in this sub) each with a cast chassis.

Oddly enough some parts of the power amp in it are made by Bang and Olufsen, such as the B&O 'ice power' board so that it can generate alot of power but create very little heat.

The rest of the power amp is much larger than i've seen on other subs and uses only top quality components.

Timbo21

Prominent Member
I believe they're discontinued now. I think some got a very good price on these. A quick search on google looks like they retail for £500 mark. Therefore, the SVS SB12+ is the one to demo against it, if you can.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom