1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SA-VE835ED

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cflynn_lwh, Apr 23, 2003.

1. cflynn_lwh

cflynn_lwh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in upgarding by current set-up to a sub/sat system. I am finding it hard to find a review for the Sony SA-VE835ED. Anyone out there got anything to say about these speakers????

2. Leander

Leander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've recently bought these speakers along with the other stuff below.

Problem is, I have no reference point to make a comparison as I didn't have a good quality set up before, some Sony knockers would say I still haven't!.

They sound pretty good to me with my only reservations being on dynamics and sensitivity.

On the dynamics front I don't get quite as much of a difference between quiet and sudden loud sounds as I expected but I stress again I don't have anything to compare them with.

With regard to sensitivity, at 87db they need a pretty powerful amp to get decent volume levels. My Pioneer is 7x100wpc (although I'm only driving 5 channels at the moment) and I think anything less than that would struggle.

Sub woofer's good, goes deep, loud and is not boomy.

3. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,846
    I also have also recently bought this speaker package (at under £400 for the package, I thought it was a bargain). I am also impressed by the quality of the sound produced, hooked upto my Sony 930 amp, but have no real benchmarking for the speakers, as my last set was a mix and match of missions.

I did have a demo of them in a local Sony centre, hooked upto to a 1080, and was mightly impressed. Just after that I had a demo of both the Kef 2005, and B&W VM1/AS1 package, at a sevenoaks shop, where they were hooked upto to some high end Denon equip. The £400 extra (for the other speakers), did not seem feasible in my situation, for the small increase in sound quality IMHO. But it is always best to demo them yourself, as everyone has a different opinion.

I am also interested that Leander likes the speakers hooked upto the pioneer amp, as this possibly my next purchase soon. A newer amp, either the Denon 3803, Pioneer 1011 or 2011, or Sony VA555ES, and the speakers would be staying for that upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Just remember, try to demo them. Most Sony centres have them, just ask them to give you a demo (not ideal in a lot of their shops, but at least it gives you some sort or benchmark)

Ricky

4. cflynn_lwh

cflynn_lwh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks boys

5. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,846
    Let us know what you decide, and what you think of the 835 package if you do manage to get a demo of them (or buy them).

Ricky