1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SA-VE705

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mridley, Jan 10, 2002.

1. mridley

mridley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right go gently I know most of you hate these speakers :(. I know I should of shopped around first but I didn't actualy buy these ( that's another story) I also have a Sony STR-DE475, i'm new to all this Home Cinema stuff. I can't seem to decide on the best setup, Q: is it best to have the fronts going to the sub then sub to fronts. I really don't understand some of the settings and the wife is giving me ear ache cos I keep fiddling as she calls it.

I have the following set:
    LFE - 10 ( what does that mean )
    Fronts = large connected to sub
    sub = no
    centre = small
    rears = small

2. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    firstly (and i'm no expert)...

you should only loop the satellites through the sub if your amp doesn't have a sub preout (which yours does) Instead connect all your satellites (fronts, centre, rears) direct to the speaker terminals on the back of the amp. Then connect the sub preout on the amp to the low-level input on the sub.

Secondly, all the satellites should be designated SMALL in the amps settings. Not only will it avoid unwanted distortion by directing bass to the subwoofer, it could also save you from a large bill when your satellites blow up!!

The amp should also be told that you are using a sub so it can direct bass to the .1 channel.

You'll need to fiddle with the level of the sub till it sounds right for you. Ideally it should be a seamless intergration between sats and sub without you noticing that the sub is separate.

This should give you the best set up I think.