Sony S85C / S80C 2015 Curved TV

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Patbateman69, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Patbateman69

Patbateman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  2. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,468
    It's never really bothered me as I only tend to watch them for the front and I really don't think curved TVs look great when wall mounted. Good to see them up on the Sony UK site.

3. adilshaheenbutt

adilshaheenbutt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought one of these tvs yesterday. Seems alright but after vat reduction due to being a business owner it cost 1200 replacing my Sony x8505b, the 2014 model and I still seem more impressed with my older TV. Maybe it's because I had that calibrated with settings on this forum and this TV has nothing I can find online at all? No reviews, or calibration settings. Colour and brightness is impeccable. Best I've seen on a Sony tv and on par with a Samsung which is big. However, hdr mode I haven't used, motion processing is adequate, still feel it's better on my older x8505, and even though this supposedly has the new X1 chip from Sony my older set seems better and has left me a bit distasteful and thinking whether I should return it. I bought it as I thought this would be a future proof TV with good up scaling (mainly for sky HD) and 4k viewing and gaming but my older one seems the better of the two atm. I will be calling Sony on Monday about the back light issue but I think that is just something I may have to get used to as in dark scenes it clouds and gives a slight dirty screen effect on fast moving scenes at times so would ask for advice on that from them but if they can't resolve anything this forum is where I'm hoping to find some clarity on this TV but it even seems a ghost on this! Very worrying but time is on my side and I hope somehow I can get help as I'm not sure what TV I'd get to replace it in the same price bracket, and I am beginning to love Sony tvs and the survey although subtle and a novelty, seems nice in my setup. Any help or advice would be welcomed as u am a young TV enthusiast and have relative knowledge but not as much as most of you on here.
    Thanks for any help or replies!

4. Patbateman69

Patbateman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    That sounds disappointing. Perhaps try these settings for the x900c Sony X900C 4k LED TV Calibration Settings

Once you have had a play around then determine the picture quality.

Mine isn't as good as my old HX853 in SD, HD is more or less the same I think and of course 4K is brilliant.

The blacks in mine are not as good, but it is an incredibly thin TV.

Be interested to see what your thoughts are after playing around with it as this was another of my options should i return my TV

5. adilshaheenbutt

adilshaheenbutt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a play around with a lot of settings, and two reviews also dropped today which have been of service help but they too have spoken about the backlight issue and poor black levels. The TV is good don't get me wrong, but my previous 2014 4k x8505b still seems better for some strange reason and it shouldn't be due to this having the x1 chip - which is another reason why I have such high hopes for this TV is that it's future proof almost with HDR update being rolled out and in my TV already. Still not sure if this has annoyed me enough to replace it, other option is a Panasonic cx700 or cx800. I stay away largely from Samsung or LG due to the ease in which using any processing results in a soap opera effect and without it almost every panel in MY experience, even the well reviewed ue7500 4k set has motion blur of some sort. Always going to be between Panasonic and Sony for me and atm my old sony seems better then the new one, and the Panasonic seems a tasty proposition. I have 3 days before my return policy ends. Any other help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6. Patbateman69

Patbateman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    If you have played with settings and the blacks still annoy I'd suggest returning it.

The x850 is supposed to have good blacks, my x900 is decent black wise but has light bleed

7. adilshaheenbutt

adilshaheenbutt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's reviews on tech radar and trusted reviews that both suggest it's got backlight issues so it seems to be an issue of the panel as a whole rather than just mine so still unsure whether to return.

8. Patbateman69

Patbateman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171