1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony s550 - progressive scanning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mobily, Jan 7, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

Does anyone know if the sony s550 supports pal progressive scanning as well as ntsc scanning? Most of my dvd's at present are R2 so pal progressive would be a welcome addition.

Does progressive scanning make all that much difference?

Cheers,

James

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    You need a progressive scanning display device like a projector, plasma or higher end tv like many Toshibas.

The Sony only does NTSC progressive scan but its interlace PAL component picture is also very good. The DAVS550 is a great system if you have component socketry on your display device but if you don't it only has s-video which is slightly grainy and frankly not that good. Hence I never suggest it to people who are using televisions with RGB scart connections as its the wrong way to go. Frankly £30 chinese players offer a better picture than the DAVS550 because they offer RGB scart unless you can make use of the component sockets on the sony.

The DAVS550 is a smashing bit of kit though if you can use it to its full potential.

3. J.W

J.W
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Loewe Aventos has component input through a scart socket. Can I use this with the Sony DAV-S550 component output? What type of cable would I need?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    If your Loewe supports comoponent then I would definitely get yourself the necessary lead and use it. Component should give you much more accurate colour and overall a more dynamic clean image. I don't know what cable you need though. Does the manual list the pinouts for the cable?

5. 3george

3george
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think that component video was a function of scart.

As far as I know scart carries the video signal in RGB format and not component. You will need to use an RGB to Scart cable to connect the DAV to the Loewe and not use its component output. The Loewe may well have dedicated component input connections ( but somehow I doubt it )

Hope this helps.

3george.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Some televisions and dvd players use scart for their component connections. Its non standard use of the scart connector but saves fitting of another socket. I only know the Kiss implementation and that simply makes use of the 3 RGB pin connections and their matching earth connections to give component output. I suspect the Loewe cable will be pretty similar.

7. eyeMAJIC

eyeMAJIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thread.... many thanks bonzobanana for clear answers.... was going to post myself & ask these things... don't need to now!!

Just shelled out £100 for a 5-metre component cable to connect S550 to newly purchased AE500 projector.... After reading this, I feel it's money well spent already, as I have only been used to S-video until now!

Thanks again.

8. eyeMAJIC

eyeMAJIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my component cable arrived today! Can't believe the increase in quality: worth every single penny. Can't believe how crummy S-video is in comparison.

The input information displayed by the projector confirms what the 550 is sending out:

R2 discs via component = 625 lines INTERLACED.
    R1 discs via component = 525 lines PROGRESSIVE.

But, as pointed out elsewhere, modern projectors will often take an interlaced PAL signal and convert it to progressive by interal processing.

The Panasonic AE500 I have just bought does a sterling job of this: can't notice any difference in picture quality between R1 progressive and R2 interlaced signals by component. Mind you, the only film I have the R1 and R2 discs of to compare is "Das Boot Director's Cut", which is a bit of an oldie. Would be interesting to compare a newer, better quality transfer side-by-side.