1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony S335 and DB930 problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kenjolly, Apr 8, 2002.

1. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

I hope someone can help me..

I have a Sony 930 amp and a sony S335 DVD player (15 months old and modded for multiregion) connected via a coaxial cable. Tosh 36ZP18 is also connected to amp via phono leads.

The amp can 'sense' the digital format being sent to it eg DD, DTS, pro logic, and displays this briefly whenever it changes (only for a few seconds - it then resorts to displaying the input source ie DVD).

So for example I start the DVD with Gladiator in. The menus are in DD 2.0 format so this gets displayed on the amp before showing "DVD". When you start the Gladiator commentary, which is pro logic, the amp shows "Pro Logic" and after a few seconds resorts back to show the source (in this case it just shows "DVD").

Recently though the amp keeps getting a 'new format being sent' signal from the player and thus keeps switching to the sound format being broadcast. So after a period of time (which is random - a few seconds, minutes) the amp thinks the DVD player has just sent a signal to change the sound format so it shows up on the display as just being received.

Now this wouldn't be too much of a problem except for the fact that when the amp senses a new format being sent to it, it stops the sound for a fraction of a second. Then when the amp recognises the format it starts sending out the sound in that format.

So while watching the gladator commentary the fomat being sent changes to "Pro Logic". But after a bit the amp senses that this format is being sent again and thus stops the sound for a fraction of second while it changes to the new format (which of course is the same as that which it is already in !).

Now the amp doesn't do any of this with the TV (via phono connection). And the DVD player doesn't do it when connected to the TV via scart and the TV sound is used. So I've narrowed it down to three things :

1) The dvd player is faulty in respect to the digital connection
    2) The digitial cable is faulty
    3) The amp's digitial input is faulty.

I don't have a spare coaxial/optical cable to test the DVD player out.

I'm sorry if I've gone a bit - it's a hard one to explain. This has only recently started happening (just out of the warrenty period !)
    and is really bugging me - I can't watch a film with the sound being interrupted every now and then.

Any one out there who has experienced this or something similar - maybe with a different amp or player ?? I have double checked the coax connection and it is firmly in place so I've no idea what to do.

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Can you screw the covers back on the coax cable? you may have a bad connection.
    You can use any cheap phono cable to test the coax imput, just incase its a faulty cable.

Make shure your amp is set to accept coax and not auto.
    the imput goes analogue/auto/coax/optical or something similer.

good luck

3. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers TimH,

I never knew a digitial coaxial cable really meant phono cable - its a good con by the cable manufacturers !!

Tried a phono cable and it works OK (that's the good news). However have put back the coax cable and everything is still OK (that's the bad news because if it were the cable then surely it should be failing !).

I did check the cable ends when I replaced it with the phono - its a QED 75ohm cable (cost about £20). You can screw the what can only be described as a "sheath" off and I did this and checked the ends. Looked OK so tightened them back and as I said, so far (as Gladiator commentary is currently running with it) so good.

Will keep on checking - maybe just a loose "sheath" was causing some interference maybe.

Again, thanks for the help.

Ken

PS Don't know how to make the amp accept coax and not auto - I suppose a long hard look at the manual is in order. If problem persists I will look into this area some more.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I have the previous Amp to yours, the 925, to change to coax only on my amp I have to press the imput mode button behind the flap on my Amp, be sure its on dvd or you will only get analogue.

5. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Me again,

well bad news I'm afraid - Been watching the amp for the last 20 mins. It changed twice with the coax cable so I switched to the phono cable and guess what - yep changed with that as well.

Managed to suss out changing the amp to be coax only for the DVD (had to read something while waiting !). Thanks anyway Timh.

So its definitely not the cable. That leaves player or amp. I'll have to borrow my mates player and see what happens for that. At least it'll tell me whether its an amp problem or a player problem (my bet is on the player). Suppose I could also buy the Tosh 110e from richer sounds for £99. Wonder if I'll notice any difference between that and my £300 sony.

I had already started to drift away from Sony products - that's why the TV is the Tosh (I don't suffer many of the problems others have and only slightly with the others).

Just an aside - while I was disconnecting the cable from the amp and player I left the amp switched to DVD. Without a signal from the player it started to output "noise" to the speakers - only intermittenly as if there was a loose connection. As some as the cable was back in place and the player was playing a disc everything was OK.

Ken

6. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I also used to be big on Sony, but no more, I have had some problems with their kit.

Why not just buy an optical cable and test it that way, I think Dixons do one to fit the Playstation 2 for about £10, or cheaper still from Argos for £6.99 cat no. 364/8658.
    Its cheaper than buying a new player.
    Remember to change the imput to optical if you do this.

7. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't have a PS2 - probably going to get an X-box (when the price drops).

I'll test it with my mates and if that works and buy an optical cable. Cheers for all the help.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Kenjolly

How did it go?

9. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Timh,

I will be borrowing my mates DVD tonight so haven't tried that solution yet.

Saturday was a nice day up here in the north so I had a drive to the local retail park and bought myself an optical cable (Currys only had one for £25 so I popped into comet and got one for £18).

Tried it out a bit and everything seems fine - I'm a bit tired of watching the gladiator commentary now though !

So it is either the DVD player of AMP co-axial input / output that's the problem. Hopefully by tonight (probably tomorrow as I'll be playing Halo with my mate tonight in co-op mode and time just flys by !) I know which it is.

I'm hopeing to get apocalypse now redux when it comes out - hopefully everything should be working by then - question is - will I notice a difference in sound quality using the slightly cheaper optical cable rather than my co-axial cable ?

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I compared my dvp-335 with my str-925 with coax and optical, IMHO I coudn't tell the differance.

It sounds like you just saved buying yourself a new dvd player.

11. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just to keep everyone up-to-date on this problem.

Finally used my mates Tosh 110 using co-ax through the amp. Watched most of Apocalypse Now redux (wife came home so had to stop it) and not a single problem. Must therefore be a problem with the DVD player co-ax output.

looks like I'll be using the optical output from now on ! Is there anyone else who has had problems with their co-ax output on their DVD player ??