1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony S325 DVD player - how to access setup menu without remote

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by loz1, Jul 17, 2003.

1. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Bit embarassed to be asking this and admitting I've still got this old player but I need to access the setup menu to change some default settings for the new amp I've bought and my DVD remote went on the blink ages ago. I assume there must be a way of accessing the menu without a remote but can't find anything in the manual or any buttons on the player itself. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Lawrence

2. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there IS a way of doing this - can you not "hire" a universal remote from Argos for a day, set the DVD bit to Sony, and use that? Then you could return it with your receipt for your "deposit refund" :)

How's your 325 regarding lipsync bugs, out of curiosity? My mate's is really really bad (or was, until it started C13 erroring on him) and my 525 is also temperamental....

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have a pronto? Or perhaps a Sony TV remote? (with DVD commands)

You can download a Sony setup IR commands to a Pronto, then use that to go into the setup menu.

4. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response guys.

My 325 has been okay. I didn't realise the model suffered from lipsync problems. I've had a few DVD's that have gone out of sync but always thought it was down to the DVD. That said the Sony TV I had blew up so I wouldn't rush back to buy Sony kit.

Haven't got a universal remote and my old sony tv remote didn't have DVD commands as far as I remember. That said the repairers took it away with them and I never got it back.

I like the hiring suggestion, very amusing. I'm probably going to be getting a new DVD player soon anyway so don't want to fork out much.

I still can't believe they make these machines so reliant on a remote. No wonder some these days have an alarm on them to let you know where you left them.

Lawrence

5. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He he he - think yourself lucky - if I lose the remote for my CD player (a Rega) you've only got stop, play and skip - not even search...

...and at least the Sony x25 series has basic menuing keys etc on the front - my Samsung tide-me-over has the same button count as aforementioned Rega CD so if you lose the remote for that, that's it! :)

6. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Dom,

I was going to pop down to Argos tomorrow but are you sure there will be a universal remote that will allow me to access the setup menu. I would have thought that most universal remotes would only have the common functions. Maybe the pronto would work but I'd rather get a cheap one from Argos if possible. They have quite a range so any suggestions as to which if any would do the job?

Thanks
    Lawrence

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What aboot finding a non-working Sony 325 on ebay? , if that comes with a remote as well- you'll also have spare parts for your existing one...

8. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the best one-for-all remote I could see at Curry's (model 7560 - £29.99) and although it controlled the DVD player there didn't seem to be a button for the setup key. :mad:

I phoned Sony and could buy another one from them for £20 or alternatively get one via Ebay but as I'm going to be buying a new player in the near future I'd prefer to put the £20 towards a pronto if it would definately work. Can anyone confirm that the sony setup IR commands you download into a pronto include the full set of commands including the setup buttons, etc. If this is the case can someone recommend a model as I believe there are a few and where the cheapest place is to get hold of one.

Thanks,
    Lawrence