Sony S-Dav300 ... or replacement advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MrCisco, May 13, 2005.

1. MrCisco

MrCisco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi, new user and first post, so apologies if it's been covered before...

My problem is.. I have a Sony S-Dav300 System, that seems to have given up the ghost. All disks that get put in comes up with 'No Disk'.. I'm not sure if that is the laser or gone or something else.. Any ideas anyone?

Failing getting that fixed.. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement (that is good, but not too expensive - doesn't everyone!) that can take the place of my sony dvd... I obviously already have the 5 speakers and subwoofer, so would be just looking for player that had a built-in dolby or dts encoder, with suitable connections on the back for my speakers... Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    If too have a Sony player from that generation that died with laser problems. It cost £110 to replace the laser pick up, around 30% of the original cost price. The machine now resides at my Mothers house. Your Sony is a combined player and amp, not just player and decoder. Consequently you are in an unusual situation because your whole setup is defunct unless you repair. To be honest present day machines are so much more capable that the repair costs would be better spent towards a replacement solution. A quick scan through a recent 'Ultimate Guide' seems to suggest the Toshiba SD-44HK (£250) and the Denon DHT-500 SD (£500) as stand out performers in the sub £500 bracket. I would imagine on-line prices would be lower.