Sony S-525-D

Simon6776

Not sure if the letters are correct in the model number above, but you'll know the one I mean if you have one. It's the old Sony DVD players, there was a 525 and a 725, anyway, what I hope someone can tell me is, will these play DVD-Rs? I know they won't play CD-Rs, but a friend wants me to back up some home movie footage for him on to DVD, but I'm not sure if his player will play them.

Thanks.

Ged

Back them up anyway, if they don't play off to the shop he goes, a new player costs buttons these days, most Chinese players do it all for next to nothing.

Simon6776

That's not really the answer I was looking for. The trouble is, I've just sold him the machine! Guess I'll have to try it for myself if no one here has one.

Flimber

Distinguished Member
1. Look up the site dvdrhelp, used to be vcdhelp.
2. Find your player.
3. That's what it plays :)

Mike.

Simon6776

Hi Flimber,

Thanks for that. I just tried the DVD Player VCD,SVCD,CD-R/W,DVD±R/W Compatibility list, and it only seems to cover current models. The 525 isn't listed. :(

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Plenty of players from the same era there though (?). See the 725 f'rinstance.

Mike.

Ajax

Standard Member
Hello,

I have one of the old Sony 525 players. I always assumed that it would not play copied DVD's as it refused to play copied CD's but it does.

Hope this helps,

Ajax.

Simon6776

Thanks all!

Sorry Flimber, never spotted other pages. :blush:

So it seems that it will work with DVD-Rs, which is great!

Ekko Star

Distinguished Member
Yes 525 will play DVD-R's no problems and most brands of media. Buit you must use the right software to burn your back-ups !