Sony RP KP44PS2 Screen Bend problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by nsouthga, May 29, 2002.

1. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received my new Sony Rear Projection KP44PS2 and whilst the picture is great, the picture bends up slightly on the left hand side of the screen?

I tried Auto-convergence several times on a good digital source (Sky Digibox and DVD) but still the same issue.

Is this somthing I can "tweak" myself or is it a call-out job?

TIA

2. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this set and my main problem is that the picture is not centred, ie approx 1 inch of the bottom and left I can't see. I only notice this when running a setup disc. If you do a search for KP44PS2 on these forums you'll see that there are ways to get into the service menu and tweak it yourself. I have not tried this as yet - planning to do it once my houseguests have left. Let me know how you get on if you do give it a go.

3. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doug, I just entered the service menu... Not short on options!

I was hoping it would be somthing obvious to "tweak" like "reduce left hand picture bend - on/off" ;-)

Any pointers on what it is I need to change?

4. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, no idea. I plan to try this soon though - I would think it should be in a "geometry" section or something? Remember, they say do record yr original settings somewhere just in case you change something and suddenly find yourself with no picture!

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's not hard,when you know how.But don't try unless you feel confident.
    As already mentioned try searching, this has all been explained before.
    I would use projection engine mode.Then switch off the red and blue guns,then set the green to be straight.
    Then converge the other two to match the green.
    Regards

6. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon, will what you describe (ie. manual convergence) specifically cure my picture bend problem?

Sorry to ask Newbie questions!

7. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes .
    Strictly speaking it's a geometry change,followed by re-convergence of the other colours.
    What area are you in?
    Regards

8. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon, I'm near Newbury, Berks - do you do call outs?!

Out of interest, if I called up and complained about this, would Sony send an engineer FOC?

9. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That's a little far out for me.
    I think Sony would send out an engineer if you moaned enough,however I think they'll either say it's in tolerance or they will not be keen on touching it,or both.
    The experience I've had with them would be that they have a "basic" knowledge.
    Regards

Ps I think if you search,all the info is here.

10. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm reasonably techy so I'll probably have a pop at configuring the set manually.

I've just read the huge thread here on adjusting it so I may give that a whirl.

The other thing I've noted is that the auto-convergence feature works best in the dark.

The set is currently sitting near a bay window, whilst it isn't in direct sunlight this might be an issue.

I'll wait until it gets dark, switch off all the lights and try it!

11. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck!

I will be interested to know how you get on,so plse post the steps you take in the service menu on this thread

Thanks

12. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nsouthga, did you have any success adjusting yr picture?
    I finally got round to adjusting the picture last nite,and when I accessed the deflection menu,the picture suddenly went very wonky, as if the convergence was way out. Strange because it is only for that menu screen, the others are all fine.

Anyway I had to try so I bit the bullet and went into the reset menu and hit reset deflection. Well this has completely ruined the picture. Any ideas on how to fix it?

johnson, I know you advocate going into the projection engine and adjusting manually. I tried this but can't seem to change the grid from green to red and then to blue, ie all I can adjust are the green lines. Can you help?

Thanks guys

13. nsouthga

nsouthga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Doug, I've not been brave enough to fiddle yet.

I'm sure Johnson will come to your rescue!

14. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I hope he does:eek:

Actually just reading his prev posts on related threads and now I see you have to press 3 to change between R,G and B, so I will try the proj engine convergence tonite. Also see that's how zcaps57 fixed his problem. Hopefully it works

I've provisionally booked a sony engineer for a call out next week, just in case I can't fix this myself