1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RM-MC40ELK remote with the NW-HD3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by lockers, Feb 5, 2005.

1. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I thought I’d write a guide for the Sony RM-MC40ELK which is quite popular with people buying the Sony NW-HD range.

I’m sure many of you that have the remote already have worked out how to do everything, but I thought I’d write this anyway as a reference.

This may also answer some queries about the functionality that’s available from the remote whilst the unit is buried in your pocket/bag. Its not a cheap item, so may help you decide if you want to get one.

N.B
    In this guide, the ‘Scroll wheel’ is the one to the right of the LCD display, where-as the ‘Rocker’ is on the lower side of the remote (used for play/pause/forward/back).
    When in a list of items, it is the middle item (on the 3 line display) that is affected by any commands.

General Playback (included for completeness!)
    Play - Push in the ‘rocker’ and the unit will continue where it last stopped.
    Stop – Press the stop button (also labelled ‘cancel’)
    Pause – Push in the ‘rocker’
    Skip Forward Track – Use the ‘rocker’ and flick to the right.
    Fast Forward within track- Hold the ‘rocker’ to the right (if you pause first, fast forward will go quicker – but no audio)
    Skip Back a Track – Use the ‘rocker’ and flick to the left twice (first one returns to start of track, second will go to previous track).
    Fast Rewind within a track - Hold the ‘rocker’ to the left (if you pause first, fast forward will go quicker – but no audio)
    Force a Switch-off – hold the stop button.

Bookmarks
    You can add or remove the current playing track from the bookmark list by holding in the ‘rocker’ until it is registered by the unit. (It does take quite a few seconds)

Track Navigation
    Other than the simple skip track forward and back described above there are more track navigation options.
    1) Whilst a track is playing, if you move the ‘scroll wheel’ up or down the LCD will display the current track list - from there you can move up and down the list (using the scroll wheel), to play a different track from the list, either push in the rocker or push in the scroll wheel.

2) Whilst in this list, move the ‘rocker’ to the left and you will move up a level in the hierarchy ie Group/Others/Artist/Album/Genre (or subset thereof). From there you can move up and down the list using the ‘scroll wheel’. If you want to view the details of something (go down a level), you can select it by pushing in the ‘scroll wheel’ or moving the ‘rocker’ to the right. Once at track level, you can start playing the track by pushing in either the ‘scroll wheel’ or the ‘rocker’​

Alternatively, pushing and holding ‘scroll wheel’ will return you to top of your current mode (Group/Others/Artist/Album/Genre). You can cycle through each of the main sections with each push and hold of the scroll wheel. Then navigate as above using the ‘scroll wheel’ and ‘rocker’ to move up and down levels as desired.

Playback Options
    Display Button - pressing this repeatedly cycles through various information of the current track in the following order, starting with the default.
    • Displays Track Number, Track Time elapsed and Track Name (default)
    • Displays Track Number, Track Time remaining and Track Name
    • Artist, Album name, Track (if any are longer than the display, they will scroll, one at a time, starting with the Artist)
    • Track Number, Play-mode (ie normal/shuffle etc) Track name

P-Mode Button – pressing this repeatedly cycles through play-modes, starting with the default.
    • Normal
    • 1Track
    • Play Unit
    • Track Shuffle
    • Unit Shuffle

Holding in the P-Mode Button – this cycles the repeat function on and off

Sound Options
    Sound Button (basics) – pressing this button will cycle through the main groups
    • Off
    • V-SUR group - this will select the last option used from the group (Studio/Live/Club/Arena)
    • Sound EQ group – this will select the last option used from this group (Heavy/Pops/Jazz/Unique/Custom1/Custom2)
    • Digital Sound Preset – this will select the last option used from this group, either Custom3 or Custom4

Selecting Alternatives within a Sound Group
    If you wish to select one of the options contained within one of the main groups (V-SUR/Sound EQ/Digital Sound Preset) simply hold down the ‘Sound’ button whilst the current choice from the desired group is on the LCD. The LCD will flash the current option within that group (eg. Studio, Live etc). Use the ‘rocker’ to cycle through the options left and right and select the desired option by pushing in the ‘rocker’.

Adjusting Custom Levels
    When the custom sound options are flashing (Custom1-4) when you push in the ‘rocker’ the first bar in the EQ band can be adjusted, moving the ‘scroll wheel’ up and down to adjust the level. Then using the ‘rocker’ you can move to the right (or left) to adjust the remaining bands, again using the ‘scroll wheel’ to make changes. Once you’re finished, press in the ‘rocker’ and the changes you made will be saved and selected for playback.
    N.B. For Custom1 & Custom2 you can adjust each of the 6 bars, for the Custom3 & Custom4 the range is split in half, adjusting the left three bars and the right three bars.

This guide is based on using the remote with the NW-HD3, this may differ with the HD1 and HD2 - I don’t know – I don’t own them as well!

I hope this helps some people – if not, at least it kept me busy for a while and gave me an excuse to play with my HD3!

PS – If I’ve missed anything, (which I probably have) feel free to add! :)

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I think this is an excellent way to start an information thread about Sony remote controls. If anyone wants to post about any more remotes for the Sony players or links to buying, please add to this thread.

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    An excellent guide that and I can also confirm that it works in exactly the same manner for the NW-HD1.

Just a couple of the more basic points to add for completeness (mainly for those thinking of buying one, rather than those that already have one)

On the bottom right of the controller there are controls for volume up / down.

On the top left there is a "Hold" slider switch.

The Display button also activates the "Backlight" on the remote.

NW-HD5 / NW-HD5H - The RM-MC40ELK works perfectly well with these units too.

Sony, however are pushing the RM-MC35ELK as the standard remote for these players as per this link to the instruction manual.

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&c=PA&f=OT&m=RM-MC35ELK

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    yes, great accessory for my HD3, if a little expensive (1/4 of price of my HD3)

5. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you out there that have moved on from mini discs to the HD5 - the remotes still seem to work to a certain extent. I've tried out 2 old ones (one is completely ancient). I was quite surprised at this as the norm these days seems to be not to make anything backward compatible. Mine won't give me the track name, but that seems to be the only thing that doesn't work at the moment.

So, depending on your needs, could be worth a try before you fork out more money!

I still think it's a bit tight of Sony not to include a remote or decent earphones. I managed to destroy the out of the box earphones beyond repair after using for a few minutes!!

6. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    all sony remotes have the same connector but depending on age, some functions cant be communicated to the unit. it seems that the hi md remotes work fully. so do the remotes sold with md units from about 2003 onwards. anything before this, and youll prob find no display function, and hence no ability to search your tracks. however it may be possible to skip tracks.

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    the remote with my DNE10 Atrac/MP3 CD player, doesn't work except for play button. Its not that old :)

8. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hey ho the oddities of life. im sure there some parallel reality where all remotes will work with it and the ipod has a cracking button problem. and the maj has got an hd5.

a reality where sony tells the truth in its adverts, and theres a beer drinking fountain on every street corner..

9. briankai

briankai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am curious about something maybe you guys can help me with. Does sony make a wireless remote of some kind for these portable units. I just purchased a Vaio Pocket with the intention of using it primarily with my home theater system, but know it would be kind of inconvenient to have to go to the player in order to change the tracks and whatnot.

Kai

10. Cunny

Cunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just got a MC40ELK off ebay but it had no instructions with it.
    Although all the functionality works it does not display anything on the remote LCD display. Does this come on automatically when the palyer is playing or do I have to do something to switch the display on?

11. ferdz

ferdz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly the same thing happened to me when I bought a RM-MC55ELK. Everything worked fine on it but I didn't have any display on the remote. I bought it for my NW-HD1 as I was told that it was 100%compatable. Now I don't know if it is because my player is broke, if the remote was broke or if it simply is a question of compatability. Having read that you have suffered the same problem with a RM-Mc40ELK which should be compatable I think I may have a faulty player or remote. Could anyone advise on this matter and if possible give some more info on the RM-MC55ELK (including if it is compatable for the NW-HD1 if possible).

12. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i know this doesnt really have much to do with this, but i want to get a remote for my hd3, i was thinking about the RM-MC40ELK but it is a little expoensive. does anyone know wether the RM-MC35ELK will display the track info, or will it just come up as 'track1' becuase i think it was designed for cd players. thanks

13. paulrod

paulrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my RM-MC35ELK today for my HD3, and it works great, displays, track name, album name, artist name, etc.... well worth the £13 off ebay!!
    Paul :D

14. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It appears that the 35ELK has pretty much all of the same functionality as the 40ELK above, except for the scroll wheel (under Track Navigation). The 35ELK does have folder +/- buttons to scroll thru albums. Plus, it is small and very inexpensive on eBay!

15. lammy

lammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers found this very helpful

16. GL700Wing

GL700Wing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I put the guide created by lockers together with the relevant pages from the MZ-NH1 user guide to create a single, downloadable user guide for the RM-MC40ELK remote control.

Enjoy!!

Kathy

Attached Files: