1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony RM-694 (old) - How to tune TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cutandpaste01, Nov 13, 2004.

1. cutandpaste01

cutandpaste01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got and old 14" Sony Trintron portable with a RM-694 Remote Control. I'm wanting to retune the TV and can't remember how to do it. Needless to say, the manual has long since gone to great manual hideaway in the sky.

Can anyone tell me how to tune the TV or point me somewhere where I can download the manual? - :blush: (Sony UK don't have it).

Thanks

Simon

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. cutandpaste01

cutandpaste01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simon1,

Thanks, but I'd already trawled through their website.;

Anyone Else:

The TV it came with was a Sony Trinitron KV-M1411U TeleText 14" portable.

I've attached a picture of the remote, I'm guessing it would have been used on a wide range of Teletext TVs at the time -so if anyone can tell me which button to press I'd be very grateful.

Simon

Attached Files:

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Jesus, you're going back some years there aren't you?

I remember selling these Sony model sets late 80's/early 90's.

Here goes from memory:

From my attached pic, I'll refer to the buttons (in this order) as

[1] [2]

[3] [4]

[5] [6]

Press button [6] to enter tuning mode.

Press either [2] or [4] to tune upwards or downwards.

or

Press button [3] and then enter a two digit RF frequency no (if you know the RF no from your transmitter). ie 36 for a vcr.

You might have to press either button [1] or [5] to 'store' the channel, before finally pressing button [6] to come out of tuning mode.

Might take a bit of experimenting.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Simon

Attached Files:

5. cutandpaste01

cutandpaste01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simon1.,

Yes, it is an old set, it was a wedding present nearly 12 years ago!

Many thanks, that got me on the right track. :thumbsup:

For those who may have have the same problem, here's what to do (as I hate it when people just reply "sorted it out...") :mad:

Use the Channel selector buttons to set the TV to the Channel you want to tune a channel to (e.g. Channel 1 for BBC1 etc.).

Hold down button [6] and then press button [5].
    This gets you into tuning mode.
    Then use button [2] or [4] to Tune Up or tune down whilst holding down button [5]
    Press button [6] and [5] to store the station.

Sorted.

Thanks again,
    Simon
    :clap:

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Glad I was able to help.

7. sindysylvain

sindysylvain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi every body 3 years ago I have find your mail.

That great notice remote control.

But my remote control have le button [5] destroy.
    Do you known an other solution to affecte a new cannal on a channel ?
    with the TV's button ?
    Thanks, If one personne have this post, I am very lucky 3 years it's too old :cool:

8. sveneboy

sveneboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I indeed had the same problem, I worked out after pressing all the buttons, how to tune, however, this only seems to do UHF. Anyone know how to switch it to search VHF. I have cable and wireless and lots of the channels are on VHF freq

Cheers

9. missb_75

missb_75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been able to tune in my tv channels, but despite connecting my new dvd player up to this tv correctly, I just cant get the signal to come through on the screen. How do you tune in the AV channel?

Any ideas please??

Bt.

10. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi missb-75,

Amazingly I had never looked at the Remote Control section of this forum but tonight I did. More amazing is that this thread was related to a remote control I have, the Sony RM694. The television we have is the Sony KVM1420U, which has lived in our kitchen for yonks. It is not the teletext model but the remote control is exactly the same. Yuk! the remote looks pretty disgusting and tomorrow will be spring cleaned, not an easy matter when water and remote controls are not a good mix.

Somewhere in this house is the manual for this television. To say I am a clutterbuck is putting it mildly. I keep everything and in fact I saw it fairly recently. I have never connected this television to any other device so I don't know how to make the AV connection. Keep looking at this thread and hopefully I will find it within the next week, and give you some useful information. Someone else might respond first.

Regards,
    Cynthia

11. frankg1001

frankg1001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

just wanted to say thx to whom posted the pics and the instructions. thats commitment ...... ;-)

Cheers:thumbsup:

12. Jayne

Jayne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just used this help to successfully re tune my son's old ( but still going strong) TV. Thanks everyone:thumbsup:

13. Jo Blood

Jo Blood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - just used this website for the first time, and it was great. Followed the instructions and all tuned in. How wonderful is the internet

14. GoukiP

GoukiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

im having the same problem with my Rm-841, any suggestiong would be appriciated

15. kevin2001

kevin2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon1

Just found your thread after a couple of weeks of hairpulling. Was about to give up and buy a new TV set so thanks very much for the invaluable info.

16. TKW

TKW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have this remote which has been unused for a while, without batteries. Surprisingly, I remembered the tuning procedure and have successfully tuned in the TV stations.

The problem I have is that the only buttons which the TV responds to are the tuning buttons themselves - I can't change channel etc. I have another, more modern, Sony remote which operates the TV perfectly (except for the, er, esoteric tuning system which doesn't feature on the new remote).

Anyone got any idea why? Can the remote lose any settings from being without batteries for so long (four or so years)?

17. Kathryn

Kathryn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I wonder if you can help with tuning a freeview box with the Sony RM-694? I've managed to work out how to tune the TV channels but can't get it to recognise the digital tuner. Maybe the TV is just too old for this sort of technology!

Kathryn

18. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This could be because your freeview box does not have a modulator (many freeview boxes don't). You'll need to use scart connection instead.

19. Kathryn

Kathryn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've connected the freeview box with a scart connection already. Can you think of anything else?

20. Kathryn

Kathryn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm totally new to this forum so don't know if the last mail worked. I've connected the freeview box to the TV via a scart socket but the TV cannot seem to find the signal. Any ideas?

Fingers crossed.

Kathryn

21. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    With a scart connection, you DO NOT tune the tv in to get the picture - there is NOTHING to tune in. Instead you simply select the AV input on tv.

Look at the attached image of remote (on page 1 of this thread), press the third button down from the power button. This is the one with a white arrow pointing into a tv screen symbol.

Hope this helps.

22. Kathryn

Kathryn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's it working now.

Thanks for all your help.
    :thumbsup:

23. Aistina

Aistina
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I'm having a similair problem to what some other people have in this thread. I bought a Wii today and connected it to my Sony KV-X21TD TV using the Scart connector. Now here's the problem: How can I get the TV to display the signal from the Wii? Normally I'd just use the remote for this, but I haven't got the actual remote that should be with the TV:

[​IMG]

The red outlined button is the one that I need, but it isn't on the remote that I have:

[​IMG]

The button right of the 3 looks similair, but pressing it doesn't have any effect :(

Any help would be appreciated!

24. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The button right of 3 is the correct button. Does nothing happen at all. Are you certain this is the correct remote for your tv?

What's the tv model no?

25. Aistina

Aistina
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said in my post the second remote (the one that I have) is indeed not the correct remote for my TV, I guess that's the downside of buying a second-hand TV. And like I said, the model number is KV-X21TD.

26. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You're going to have to bite the bullet I'm afraid and spend some money.

Either an original Sony remote or a 'One for All' remote.

27. skoobzy

skoobzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys:hiya:, thanx soooooo much for the tuning advice, it worked a treat and saved my tv, windows and sanity:thumbsup:. My next little head scratcher is i cant get a picture when i plug in my DVD player, any ideas?
    Lee :uk:

28. Dousty

Dousty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A big thanks from me :smashin:

29. ilse

ilse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

we have recently switched from digital tv back to cable and are now trying to tune in our television (KV-X2131D) again. We have the Sony Trinitron RM-694 remote control, and according to this thread we are not the only one still using such old equipment.

It was great to read all the detailed tuning advice, but this doesn't seem to solve our problems. We followed the advice of Simon1 closely:

" Use the Channel selector buttons to set the TV to the Channel you want to tune a channel to (e.g. Channel 1 for BBC1 etc.).

Hold down button [6] and then press button [5].
    This gets you into tuning mode.
    Then use button [2] or [4] to Tune Up or tune down whilst holding down button [5]
    Press button [6] and [5] to store the station."

This works all the way down to the last line. When we press both [6] and [5] the tv jumps right out the tuning mode without storing anything.

We are slowly going mad ..... Advice is appriciated.
    Could it perhaps be our television?

30. Marozka

Marozka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have just tried to retune an old Sony Tv with the instructions from Simon and it eventually worked!!

I thought I should just clarify his instructions slightly to make sure the next person skips the fumbling around and get's it first time

Use the Channel selector buttons to set the TV to the Channel you want to tune a channel to (e.g. Channel 1 for BBC1 etc.).

Hold down button [6] and button [5] at the same time.
    This gets you into tuning mode and you wil see the green tuning bars across the bottom of the screen. Now you can release [6]Then use button [2] or [4] to Tune Up or tune down whilst holding down button [5] (If you just hold [5] down it will search automatically)
    Press buttons [6] and [5] simultaneously to store the station.

Hope this helps
    Lizzy