• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony RHT-G900 Muting problem

DrMagical

Standard Member
I have a problem which realy bugs me. When I switch it on my TV displays - 'Audio System Active', but the G900 displays Muting On. The TV then goes back to it's own volume control. If I switch the G900 off and on again then all is well - the volume control then controls the amp and not the TV.

Any suggestions or is it a software bug?

ted_bovis

Standard Member
I have a problem which realy bugs me. When I switch it on my TV displays - 'Audio System Active', but the G900 displays Muting On. The TV then goes back to it's own volume control. If I switch the G900 off and on again then all is well - the volume control then controls the amp and not the TV.

Any suggestions or is it a software bug?

Yep, mine does the same, and yes it is annoying, sorry I have no idea why. Dolby is also impossible via sky HD using recommended configuration, they must have know boxes don't output dolby via HDMI which blocks the optical connection when both are connected to the stand. Not to mention the silly display which can only be seen when you stand over it!!

DrMagical

Standard Member
I'm pleased it's not just mine.
I have noticed something else - if I switch it off at the plug and switch it on again it works perfectly.....until I switch inputs then it goes back to stupid again!!

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Yep, mine does the same, and yes it is annoying, sorry I have no idea why. Dolby is also impossible via sky HD using recommended configuration, they must have know boxes don't output dolby via HDMI which blocks the optical connection when both are connected to the stand. Not to mention the silly display which can only be seen when you stand over it!!

This was addressed with the current range of Sony AV receivers e.g. *20 and *400ES ranges. They were recalled and an update carried out so that HDMI audio didn't take prioritise over Sky HD's optical input. I would contact Sony or your dealer for a fix but check the owners threads in the AV receivers forum.

Last edited:

ted_bovis

Standard Member
Sony say its a design fault with the sky hd box. Another example of their pathetic customer service (clouding issues on these forums springs to mind)

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Sony say its a design fault with the sky hd box. Another example of their pathetic customer service (clouding issues on these forums springs to mind)

I agree that the Sky HD box (it's not exclusively a Sky box, it's a shared platform that many other satellite companies use) should send DD5.1 over HDMI but Sony knew this and should have realised that Sky are the #1 content provider of over-the-air HD content and should have tested their 2008/2009 equipment with a Sky HD box but err, no, they didn't. No other amp manufacturer made the same mistake and by Sony's own admission it was a huge mistake and have subsequently addressed it with their AV Receivers. I would quote the fix to them and remind them that the 'fixed' receivers have an addendum to the manual included and a blue sticker on the box to signify they've been modded. If they can do it for the receivers, it should be easy enough to apply the same mod to the G series.

PS. I also agree about the issues with their current LCD. It didn't stop WHF giving them 5 star reviews and retaining the 5 star reviews despite the large amount of reported problems. Yet they dropped a Denon amp down to 4 stars because Yamaha dropped their prices...... Hmmmm

ted_bovis

Standard Member
I think we agree about WHF. When Sony produced their wonderful fix to the clouding issue, they published it without commenting on the fact that some of the menu options they quoted don't actually exist.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom