1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Recorders - Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bakerloo, Sep 25, 2005.

1. bakerloo

bakerloo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a total newbie and i have never owned a DVD Recorder. Can anyone recommend a Good Sony DVD Recorder? I have looked at RDR-HX510S which seems ok.

I have read in many places of problems with Sony Recorders, are there reliability issues, things like very slow disc loading, remote lag, rejecting and trashing discs etc. Are there reliability issues with the Sony machines in general or just with individual models or are they generally good?

I would like progressive scan, dual layer compatability, good recording (no artefacts or noise interference), good playback, RGB output (as I believe this is best isn't it?) and most other things I haven't remembered. High Definition Recording would be nice but i'm not going to be able to afford it.

If you have a sony machine then let us know what it's like and I would appreciate recommendations from those of you that know shed loads about this stuff.

I want to get shot of my vhs but i do not wish to buy a donkey.

Thanks All.

2. davidb71

davidb71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a rdrhx510. Lovely machine. Really top quality image and sound with RGB scart.
    However look for this thread title below for a little read. I'm gonna change my sony for a pioneer one day soon.

"A dvd-rec that will burn chapters and thumbnails?"

3. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'd second that. Really good picture quality. Only issue I've had with it is trying to get it to fire up in response to my NTL cable box, which I'm rapidly realising is a no-hoper to do sensibly! Other than that, fine piece of kit.

4. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Agree with the opinions above. Upgraded from a Humax 8000T and the Sony HX510 is a lot easier to use. The only thing, in my opinion, it misses is a program guide. The Pioneer has that in GuidePlus but I don't really miss it as VideoPlus+ is so easy to use.

5. oml

oml
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Sony HX1000 and had it for 6 months....One word "AWESOME"

6. BigBadFun

BigBadFun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony HX910 rocks my world!!! :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

7. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Enjoying my HX710 the Sony GUI is superb and so easy to use :smashin:

8. bakerloo

bakerloo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Guys for all you advice. I've read the specs and listened to the views of you experience owners and have decided to get a GXD510. It seems that my virgin foray into DVD Recorderism will be well served by this machine. Appoligies to those that have recommended others but I do not require HD recording as I don't see the point. Sure for quick one touch recording it's ok but I do not often decide to record tv ads. Surely with 4 mins planning DVD RW is as good.

If i'm wrong then you are welcome to enlighten me to the virtues of HD Recording but as we speak i'm googling for a deal on a GXD 510.

Cheers Guys

9. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read the reply below if you're referring to hard drive recording not being necessary. If you mean high definition, just ignore me!! I'll leave this message in place just in case it helps anyone else...

I guess that's the GXD310 you mean (Freeview, DVD only, no HDD)? The 510 is the HX510 - no Freeview but an HDD and DVD.

Though I have a Panasonic myself, I'd just like to mention that I had a DVD-only model initially, and soon realised that for me personally it didn't go far enough - I should have gone for an HDD model. Now I have one, I'm really, really pleased. Bear in mind also that being a Panasonic, my first recorder (only last year's model) could use DVD-RAM, which functionally offers all the functional advantages that HDDs do, just at a (much) lower capacity, yet I still discovered I needed an HDD. I personally found it a bind to wait for the recorder to load a DVD when I was in a hurry to record, often to find I hadn't got quite enough space on it. This was because I'm a bit picky, so preferred to use the best two recording speeds, meaning 1 hour or 2 hours capacity per disc.

I guess I'm just saying that don't necessarily totally discount the usefulness of an HDD in advance. I was convinced I wouldn't need one until I discovered the advantages of using digital recording - and realised I was missing that final step to get all the advantages. If you record TV less than I do, it might not be an issue for you.