1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony reciever packages

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by parekhk, Feb 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. parekhk

parekhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What you thougths on the HTDDW740S and HTDDW840S Packages?

I understand the later has slightly better speakers and Prologic 2, but is that worth an extra £60?

How different (better) is prologic 2.

2. ady1

ady1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 840s and considering it's only 60 quid more and yet has an 100 watt sub and 100 watt satellites compared to 50 watt on the 740 is worth the 60 quid alone without the better reciever it has

3. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,652
    Ady, give us a quick summary of your reciever/speaker package please,, dislikes/likes etc

4. ady1

ady1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i haven't really found any dislikes to be honest,it sounds crisp and powerful 500 watts of total power and sub shakes the freakin house down but does it smoothly not just any old racket,for eg i tried fast and the furious dvd in DTS mode the other day and at quite very loud volumes and it sounded awesome,the reciever is a bit on the bulky side but i like it that way.the reciever has all sorts of options like d range (some sort of night mode) pro logic 2,setup parameters for speaker distance db level rear surround side behind or above.nice package in imo

forgot to add,that technically it's 600 watts cause of the self amplified 100 watt sub :)

5. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,652
    I ask because I am considering a Reciever and sperate speaker package.

Am interested in the sony STR-DB780s

[​IMG]

as it can be had for a little over £200, this still leaves me needing a sub and speaker package. I really fancy small satalites(sp) but was wondering how well it all gels in together with the 5 tiny speakers and one BIG powerful sub?

6. ady1

ady1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the thing i like about the reciever you get with the 840s is you can select whether your using satelites or main bookshelf front speakes in the setup parameters so if i ever needed to upgrade...i guess all modern recievers should have that capability anyway,but to me it sounds great.

7. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Ady1 - Am thinking of getting one of these and have some questions. What comes with the 840? Do you get speaker wire and brackets to attach the satelites to the wall? How is it for music?

Cheers

8. 123nitro

123nitro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MY advice is dont integrate an av amp for both films and music as quality will be comprimised

9. ady1

ady1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you get all necessary speaker cable,sub cable and a coaxial cable,as new beetle says an integrated av amp will sound as good has an hifi for music but generally imo fiddling with the 840s settings you can get a pretty good compromise to good music listening quality from the front sattelites and the sub or you can have the rears on as well,no brackets are included,i've purchased 4 alphason surround stands for mine which have a universal bracket that fits these sony sat's perfectly.

10. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Thanks Ady1, very helpful!