1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Receiver setup, sub & spkr questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jpb2001, Apr 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jpb2001

jpb2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

At the weekend I made my first foray into home cinema and purchased a Sony STR-DB780 receiver, Mordaunt Short 904 floor-standers, 304 centre and 302 rear speakers (all for £650 from Richer sounds with cables - bargain I think).

Last night I was configuring the amp and got a bit confused by the 'Large' and 'Small' speaker settings. Now, cause I don't have a sub do I set the floor-standers to 'Large' and centre/rear speakers to 'Small'? I presume this is the case as the bass will be delivered by the floor-standers.

Second question - do you think I need a sub? I've read on many posts that a sub should always be used. The frequency range of the 904s starts at 50hz, whereas subs start at about 25-35 ish so I guess that I would hear a lot more bass if I did add one?? If I did add a sub, how would the speakers be set up then in terms of 'Large' and 'Small'?? What do people think of the Mordaunt-Short 308 sub (RS have it for £160 - about the limit of my budget)?

Third question - should I stand-mount or wall-mount the rear speakers? Is there much difference in terms of sound quality (except that I think stand-mount would be preferable (i.e. tidier) albeit more expensive)?

Thanks for any help and sorry about the newbie nature of the questions!
    Cheers, JB

2. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yep with the floorstanders set at Large it's my understanding they'll produce their bass together with any LFE and sub-threshold bass due to head towards the speakers set to small.
    Home cinema without a sub's a bit like a party without JD for me...but that's not to say it's not liveable in the short term. I'm not familiar with the sub you mention but it might be worth hanging back until your budget opens up some more options. The Velo VX-10 seems to be another winner on these forums at 199 though again i've not heard it myself.
    Once you've got the sub then personally i'm in the set all the main channels to small and let the sub take the strain camp...but it's always worth experimenting.

3. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with tyefi - I would set all speakers to small when using a quality sub - since the 304 is a small centre this will help keep the front soundstage more consistent as well.

the 308 is ok at filling in low end but can be slow and wooly - spend more IMO

haven't heard your fronts but your rears are very detailed and sound great for such tiny boxes - solid buy

4. jpb2001

jpb2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tyefi and gilmore - thanks for your replies. Following your advice I have been looking at the Velodyne VX-10 sub offered in the Power Buys for £199.

According to the manufacturers web page these have a frequency response of 36-120hz - do you think this would be sufficient for my setup and do you think that the sub would blend nicely with my MS speakers?

Itching to get the chequebook out and order one of those beauties (and love the 'V' grill being a VW car owner!)

Cheers,
    JB

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'm reluctant to comment since i've only heard good reports about the Velo rather than hearing it myself...PM Uncle Eric he'll no doubt be able to address your questions.

6. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe your centre and rears actually roll off at 120htz so the sub's frequency range will be fine - you won't get the really really low stuff but there'll be plenty of grunt for your movies.

experiment with your amps crossover (if you can) and try crossing over to sub at 80htz, 100htz and 120htz to find the best balance.