1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony receiver not working with subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mikey999, Mar 10, 2005.

1. mikey999

mikey999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I made the jump to buy a sub to go with my sony strde697 (100W P-C), but it's not going well.

Started with an Aural Envelope AC10 (80W):

Loved the constant rich undertones that it added, but had to play at nearly full volume (75/79). Plus, it buzzed (especially at 79!).

Decided I needed more power (room is 6m by 6m), so took it back and got a Gale 3090 (150w):

Initially, heard nothing; realised it wasn't switching on (auto power off). Plus test tone produced no sound. Sony manual said "If nothing's coming out of the sub, set front speakers to small to get the bass circuitry to redirect to sub". Still nothing, unless there's a sudden hit of bass; and now no bass comes out of the other speakers.

Questions:

1) Is a sub supposed to be able to supply all the bass?
    2) Is a max crossover of 150 Hz enough to capture all the bass from a Sony?
    3) How can you get a surround effect (based largely on bass?) from just one speaker (the sub)?
    4) There must be a delay when the thing auto-switches on, so I'm losing the first hit aren't I?
    5) Since it keeps auto-switching off for low-bass dvds, aren't I going to be missing most of the hits?
    6) Any chance I could configure this so that I get a near-constant rich undertone?

(I've tried DD and DTS.)

Thanks people, in hope!

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Has the sub got an auto on/off switch ,if not the best option is to up the sub output from the amp and turn the gain down on the sub so it switches on better at lower volumes.
    Answers to your questions.

1.A good subwoofer will be able to supply all the bass.
    2.The max crossover of 150 Hz is going to be too high most people try and cross over around the 80hz mark.
    3.If you set all your speaker to small any bass below the crossover will be sent to the sub,bass should seem to come from all around not from the location of the sub if done correctley.
    4.Yes.
    5.Yes.
    6. That would depend on the material listend to and the quality of the sub.

3. mikey999

mikey999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, bob1 - very helpful. Having now tinkered extensively, it seems that:

I have a couple of choices:

A) Since I have large front speakers, I rely on them for "normal" bass, keeping the sub for <80hz.

B) I set front speakers to SMALL and get mid-bass from the sub too.

With B, it means that I'm getting all the bass from the sub which sounds consistent and rich. With A, my sub is little-used which seems an expensive waste :-( Is A the most common set-up?

The auto-off I hate: for A, I get the click-and-delay when LFEs arrive. For B, the sub is rarely on, so most sources are missing bass and sound tinny. Am I expecting too much from auto-off?

Seems a shame to have an auto-off that I can't use, especially when it was a selling point! Don't fancy turning off yet another thing at night. Mind you, I've seen elsewhere that idle power consumption is low and always being on keeps the sub warm. What do you think?

I know that's a lot of Qs, but the alternative to getting this right is taking another sub back to the shop - yuk!

Mike.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Most people set their speakers to small but you could set at large ,try both whichever you like the sound of most leave them at that.
    Most people with auto off turn it off ,its just better with it set to off.

5. robbym12345

robbym12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate thats very interseting because i have exactly the same amp and have been through exactly the same subs, 1st the AE and then the gale. i have also had exacly the same problems!!! i am about to take the sub back again and try and build my own, it just can't handle the volme being turned up on the amp so you end up having to turn that down every time you turn the volume up! depends what you want, but i've got some tdl studio 10's and they are astounding for the money (£200), and the sub really doesn't due it justice. you would need to spend about £500 for a good sub, but i've been advised could build it for half that!
    i'll let you know when its done!!

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    BKXLS200 is £280 and can, at the very least, be described as a "good sub". In fact it's a fantastic sub...PJ

7. mikey999

mikey999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help people; I've gone for option A, because I don't think the sony is brilliant at pushing mid bass to the sub. I'll try it for a couple of days and then the other option for a couple, for final test.

If it's OK, Richer Sounds may not see me again next week :) As this was my first step into home cinema, I wanted budget, so a £180 quid sub/£200 quid amp/10 year old JVC fronts/15 year old Wharfedale surrounds and a Gale centre are fine for now. Next time I'll budget £2000 :)

Mike.

8. mikey999

mikey999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...oh, and the auto off is going to remain disabled!

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Wise words! Tell us how you get on with your sub, don't think anyone round here has that one, but people sometimes ask about it 'cause RS are stocking it.
    Good luck!..PJ :)

10. robbym12345

robbym12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey all, had an interesting weekend messing around, (much to the annoyance of the neighbours!!) and some great results.
    i had a dig up in the loft and found my old rockford fosgate 12" back from the xr3i days and wondered how it would sound. so got hold of an old amp and powered it through that which sounded good, but no crossovers so hard to tell for definate. decided to risk trying it in the gale box so unscrewed the old driver (which was rubbish at volume) and put my RF in. the result was unbelievable, it can go to full volume with full gain and there is absolutely no distortion, fantastic. still deciding now though whether to put the old driver back in and take it back and build a new one, but it may cost as much to build the box and module as the £180 gale. may just throw the gale driver away and be done with it as it is!!