1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony rear projection kp44ps2

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by glen61, Aug 10, 2001.

1. glen61

glen61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im a new member,and have purchesed the sony kp44ps2 has anybody else brought this tv,as i would like any views and tips on setting this up with my yamaha dvd player,im useing svhs to scart to connect,is this ok? also which ive the 3 scarts works best?

glen61

2. riku

riku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the KP-41PZ1 which is similar but a bit older. First of all I recommend getting the service manual, it costs about 20 pounds and shows you how to change a lot more of the settings - it's especially useful to set things like white and black level (contrast/brightness) using the sub-level adjustments, that way you can fix those properly and not lose the correct settings.

If your set is similar to mine then it will have an awful edge enhancement called "velocity modulation" - you can turn this off by using the "movie" preset mode, that makes the image much more film like and not like some overdriven video display (great for tv showrooms though).

The bad news is that my sony and lots of others do not show NTSC through S-Video - if you feed it NTSC S-video it will internally combine it to composite and you can see the edges shimmer :( I know with some other sets that there is a service menu option to re-enable this. I have no idea why it's not standard since the set could easily do it. I had to do hardware modification to my set since there isn't that option in the menus - it wasn't too hard since the service menu has the circuit diagram - but a bit scary.

Also the convergence can be tweaked but there are dozens of adjustments - and one per wide mode (zoon,smart,wide etc). So make sure you write down all the existing settings first.

good luck.
    Richard