sony RDRHXD870 default recording mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by johnwhy, Jan 18, 2008.

1. johnwhy

johnwhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Despite having read the manual - I cannot work out how to set a default recording mode for recording to the HDD... Also what's the views on the best
    'general' quality for day to day TV stuff...?

I have to say, with the latest firmware update it's a great machine...

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    You set the default by pressing the "REC MODE" button on the remote. I.e before setting your first recording, press REC MODE until it is on the setting you want. It will use that setting until you change it.

I wish there was a place in the menus to set a default, as my concern is it is too easy to accidently press REC MODE and change the default. But I don't believe there is a way (I haven't been able to find one anyway).

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    "Also what's the views on the best
    'general' quality for day to day TV stuff...?"

I personally use HQ mode for everything. Don't see the point in compromising picture quality. With such a big hard drive, there is no point, imo. 34 hours hard drive space on the 870 at HQ quality is plenty. The advantage of HQ mode rather than the maximum HQ+ is that you can then dub at high speed to DVD blanks, whereas the HQ+ mode bit rate of 15Mb/s is too fast for DVD dubbing and would need re-coding in real time for it to dub, which is a real pain.
    I never see the point in recording at lesser quality, personally. When you have spent so much on the machine in the first place, why compromise the picture quality, when you can regain hard drive space so easily and quickly by dubbing material you want to keep to disc, at high speed.
    Of course, it does depend on the size of the TV you are using. The larger the size, the more the Freeview artifacts will show up obviously, especially at the lesser quality settings. HQ is best, imo. Others may disagree !

4. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I have set the default to MN15 which equates to about 3 hours on a dvd

MN9 is about 4 hour but isnt good enough

MN21 gives a 2 hour setting

obviously the lower the hours the better the quality , so the higher the MN figure the better the quality

so as I say , set the default to between MN15 and say MN21 for the default , and this can be done in the menus

edit

its all covered on pages 141 to 142 of the manual

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Thanks... I read that part of the manual (I've read all the manual!), but it wasn't clear to me. I was happy with using one of the standard settings (e.g. "SP") as the default, so didn't want/need to turn on the manual settings. So you are saying if I turn on the manual settings I can set a default that way in the menu? And it will default to that?

As for the previous question on which quality setting; the reason you might want to use something lower than HQ is if you will later want to dub to DVD, and want it to fit on a single disc.

6. stormy

stormy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I used to use HQ because I "believed" it was much better, but for Freeview SP seems more than adequete, so I stuck it back to that and never really noticed any real difference (just more space for recording). Its all dependant on the channel being recorded.

Mike

7. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    yes you can set a default manual setting , I use MN15 at the moment

MN21 is SP mode and so means if you record a film of less than 2 hours you can fast dub it direct to dvdr , which you could also do with MN15 too

8. johnwhy

johnwhy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i realised you could set a recording mode with presses of the 'rec mode'
    i had hoped you could just set a default but your replies suggest it isn't that simple... i agree the SP mode looks good to me and i have a paranoia about
    filling storage!!!

also having a TIVO i find the sony less intuitive but it's a tweakers heaven
    now if you took the best bits from both and added 2 digital tuners....:smashin:

9. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    its extremely simple to set the default , just follow what I said and read and follow page 141

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Well, I've done that (followed the steps in the manual), and it doesn't really set a "default".

If you go and set manual mode and pick say MN15, it will default to MN15 when you set a timer... but as soon as you press the "Rec Mode" button on the remote it changes. I.e. it defaults to whatever you set it to last time. So if you accidently press "rec mode", you have changed your default. Specifically:

- I turned on manual options, picked MN15.
    - Set a recording, it defaulted to MN15.
    - Press the Rec mode button to select a different mode (e.q. HQ).
    - Now set a recording, it will default to HQ, and continue to do so. You have to then use Rec mode to get back to the MN one as the default.

I would have preferred a place to set a default in the menu, and each time you set a recording it uses that (unless you override it in the menu). Accidently pressing a button on the remote should not change the default (but it does).

11. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    ah yes , now I see what you mean as I tried the above , shame as it would be great if the menu timer used what you set in the menu and irrespective of what rec mode was set to

so yes I know there are a few niggles with this box but its still very good

pressing the display button will display the rec mode that is selected and so it may be worth doing this and changing to the preferred default before setting any timer recordings using that default

shame it cannot be locked as a default as that is what I thought it did , and because I never change the rec mode I hadnt noticed it changing as it hadnt

these sony or pioneer engineers should ask ppl in the real world what they actually want and need on these boxes , like being able to set a variable sleep timer , or alter the epg update time away from say 0500am , and probably a few other settings that need a tweak too

12. JohnP2712

JohnP2712
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have my recorder also set to MN21. My question is what do I have to do when recording a DVD (using other means not the RDRHXD) to create a DVD that can High Speed dub. It seems that every DVD I create will only "real time dub"?

Thanks

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,051
    Unfortunately it doesn't matter what quality, format mode, or disc type, it is impossible to high speed copy a DVD to the hard drive on the *70 series. It always has to be real time when copying in that direction.

14. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    For day to day stuff I find the best mode on the HDD is LSP mode or ESP more if the film is over 2 hours 30 mins.

15. JohnP2712

JohnP2712
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks

In respect of high speed dub not being available, that was not my experience. I do have a Dr Who episode that I recorded from the recorder that does high speed dub. Anything else (e.g. created on my PC) does not. Does anyone know how I could "read" the settings used on that DVD to find out or have any other suggestions? I have looked around for a simple DVD vob settings etc reader but cant find one

Thanks