Sony RDRHXD710 progressive.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BName, Dec 30, 2006.

1. BName

BName
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +905
    Connected my 710 up via component to my tv yesterday i am quite dissapointed i exspected better quality than what it is on progressive. If i turn progressive on on the dvd it tells me on the screen 576 input it does this for freeview channels and when playing dvds. Should it not be outputting higher than 576 i thought component did 710 and/or 1080. am i doing something wrong how should i use it ?

Thanks Mick

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

Component can be up to 1080p, but you get what the recorder gives out and that's the same as the source as they do not upconvert component signals normally.

A tip, if watching anything you have recorded yourself this will be interlaced, so don't have the DVD Recorder de-interlace it (to give you progressive) as your TV will do a much better job of de-interlacing while it upscales the picture. When watching a film source that is progressive, then output that as progressive from the recorder.

To get higher resolutions out of the recorder you need to use HDMI which will have an upscaler in the recorder and is the latest marketing trick. Don't fall for it, as your TV will already upscale and do the same or much better job of it.

Feeding your TV 576i for recorded TV content and 576p for progressive films is all anyone needs for standard definition TV.

Regards

Phil

3. BName

BName
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +905
    Thanks think i was exspecting it to be better than what it is i cant tell much of a difference between a good scart and component on its freeview tuner. I guess a dvd in 710 or 1080 would be alot better.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Hi

There isn't much difference between component and SCART. The only real benefit of component over S-Video or RGB via SCART is progressive scan, but that only applies to progressive scan commercial film DVDs.

Modern TV's do such a good job at de-interlacing and cleaning up signals that even progressive scan on component is hardly an earth shattering difference.

Regards

Phil