Sony RDRHXD 890 No top menu at disc insertion

LionelS

Standard Member
Hi I have recently purchased the new Sony RDRHXD 890. I believe there is a flaw with this model. When you create a dvd disc with the recorder and play it in another recorder, dvd player or computer, the menu (which the 890 created) does not come up after loading. Title 1 starts playing automatically. It is not until you stop the play and select the Disc Menu button or Title Menu on the remote before the menu comes up. This is most annoying. Menus created by previous model HXD 760 comes up no problems first time as does commercial dvds.

I thought all dvds required a first play PGC (command that brings up menu first) as part of the agreed dvd standard. I know it is just not my machine as my brother and sister bought the same model each and the same issue exists. Is anyone else having the same problem. Surely Sony can write an update to address this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi I have recently purchased the new Sony RDRHXD 890. I believe there is a flaw with this model. When you create a dvd disc with the recorder and play it in another recorder, dvd player or computer, the menu (which the 890 created) does not come up after loading. Title 1 starts playing automatically. It is not until you stop the play and select the Disc Menu button or Title Menu on the remote before the menu comes up. This is most annoying. Menus created by previous model HXD 760 comes up no problems first time as does commercial dvds.

I thought all dvds required a first play PGC (command that brings up menu first) as part of the agreed dvd standard. I know it is just not my machine as my brother and sister bought the same model each and the same issue exists. Is anyone else having the same problem. Surely Sony can write an update to address this.
Welcome to the forum Lionel.

I would not regard this as a flaw so much as a design choice.

I presume the intent is to improve convenience, as irritating as you may find it.
Perhaps had you not had a 760 prior to this then you would have no such expectation of behaviour.

On some DVDR's you can have a choice of insert instant play or top menu display, but as far as I can determine it is not an option on this model.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
This behaviour is exactly the same as that from a Pioneer 520 and 720. Given that this Sony is really a Pioneer in disguise, it doesn't come as any surprise. And, I suspect, it IS a design choice. Oddly, for me, it is exactly as I would want it.

ramjet

Banned
I always re-author on my pc anyway , and using TMPGenc I can decide if the disk should autoplay or show a menu when first loaded

so I prefer the power of a pc over what pioneer do with the sony range , or their own range

as for the OP question , it would be down to pioneer to fix this for sony , assuming they wanted to

maybe your previous recorder was made by a different manufacturer , possibly sony or maybe somebody completely different ? who knows ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom