sony rdrhx900 + canon 550i

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by georgie, Jan 13, 2005.

1. georgie

georgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am thinking of buying the x900 to use with my 550i,at the moment I usually transfer and edit my 550i tapes via my JVC vcr.
    Is it possible to tranfer the 550i tapes to the x990 hard drive, edit and burn to disk?
    George

2. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yes you can copy to the hard drive, edit, then record to dvd.

Bare in mind that the editing facilities of the DVD player itself are limited. You can cut out bits from a recording (such as adverts, or unwanted sections) and the player automatically stitches the remaining parts into one program. You can't to my knowledge re-order sections. You definately can;t do anything clever like fade ins or outs.

Hope this helps

Martin

3. georgie

georgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Martin, is there a recorder of roughly the same price (£600.00) that has better editing facilities and is compatible with the 550i?
    George

4. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one of those 900's before Christmas, editing facilities on it are complete pants...can only record at six different compression rates as oppossed to a Pioneer 520H which has over 30.

5. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    With respect to the previous comment.... I cannot really imagine how you could use 30 different compression levels, the 6 of the sony are quite enough!

The build and performance quality of the sony are nothing short of superb. Recordings are indistinguishable from the original broadcast as long as you stay at a reasonable quality level.

With regards to other machines, I haven't had any so can't really comment. I would however GUESS that while other makes of hdd/DVD recorders might offer a few more editing features, I'm not sure there are players out there that really let you EDIT a home movie before copying it to a dvd. These players are after all really designed to let you record tv progs on the hard drive, and then archive onto dvd those you want to keep while being able to cut out the adverts.

If you want to REALLY edit you camcorder video's You'll only get true editing facilitites by getting some computer software that allows you to copy the files onto the computer, edit them and then store them onto the dvd recorder.

6. georgie

georgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin, I'm so green on this subject I do not know what 'compression levels' are, from what you say about being able to cut out adverts surely that is a form of editing that could be applied to tapes from a camcorder!
    George

7. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yes, cutting out adverts is editing, but 'cutting bits out' is about the most advanced you can get with the dvd recorder itself. If this is all you really want to do with your home video tapes, then the dvd recorder might be enough. However, if you want to do things like fade ins, fade outs, fadeing from one section to another...things like that, then i don;t think you'll find a dvd recorder that can do that.

Compression levels (as the other guy put it) just means quality levels. Where tape gives you SP and LP (lower quality), the sony dvd recorders give you 6 levels of recording quality.

Apparently other makes give you more... I find 6 is mroe than enough myself!!

If you want I can give you my number and I'll happily have a chat about more details if you like, rahter than having to type endless questions!!!

8. georgie

georgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll go along with that Martin if you can e-mail me your number I'll be glad to give you a phone call
    George
    ps or Skype if you use it.

9. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    skype?!!

Have sent you a pm with my number.

10. georgie

georgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin,
    Thanks for your help in resolving what will be my choice of DVD Recorder..............and Skype is free phone calls via your pc......................check it out on Google.
    Thanks again
    George

11. Subwoofer70

Subwoofer70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I am using the different levels of compression...it lets you tailor the programme to the amount of space left on your DVD. The Sony wastes disk space, unless you can set the rate of compression you can leave whole chunks of wasted space on disks. The Pioneer is definitely the better machine, far more user friendly and flexible with better picture and sound.

12. georgie

georgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought the X900 and am on the learning curve.
    My question is to those of you who are already familiar with the m/c, when I press timer I expect view plus to come on screen but no, up pops the manual option whereby I am expected to enter day, time etc which is not what I want.
    Can any one point me in the direction of the video plus screen....the manual ain't much help.
    George

13. georgie

georgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am now in possession of the Sony hx900 and am quite happy with it.
    As I am hard of hearing I would like to record on to the HD programmes that have sub-titles.
    Does the 900 have that facility? I see the word subtitles in 'setup' but (with my limited knowledge) referring only to the language to be used.
    Come along Martin where are you when I need you!
    George

14. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi george, tis me!!!

Um... don't know if I can answer your question though. I'm in London at the moment, as flying out to Boston tomorrow, so don;t have access to my recorder, or the manual. I don't honestly know if it's possible to record the subtitles with programmes. I'm assuming you're referring to the teletext subtitles.

Subtitles that are transmitted as part of the programme (eg when a concert is sung in a foreign language) would be recorded as they are in effect part of the picture.

Whether you can record teletext subtitles with a programme, I just don't know!!

Sorry, I know I'm not being of much help.

Hope you manage to find someone who can answer your cunundrum!

Regards,

Martin

15. georgie

georgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Martin,
    Y'all have a nice trip y'hear.
    George.