Sony RDRHX510 suddenly unable to tune channels

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Spangly, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Spangly

Spangly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is a long post but please bear with me, and I hope it’s under the right forum.

My mum’s got my old Sony RDR-HX510 DVD recorder. When I first set it up, it worked fine and she could receive all five terrestrial channels through it. Then her eighteen year-old telly packed up - just went blank apparently, no explosions, no drama.

She has now bought a new Panasonic TX26LXD70 LCD which is great, although she needs a new aerial to get the most out of it. She is in Ipswich on the Sudbury transmitter and has never got a brilliant analogue signal, and now she has Freeview, there is a lot of digital break-up.

However, the big problem is that now the Sony can’t tune any channels or get time/date info.

I tried a different telly in a different house but also on the Sudbury mast, and the same thing happened. I then tried in my house on the London mast (don’t know which, I’m in north Herts) and it got everything except Channel 5, and got the time/date in seconds. Before, when I had the same machine, it worked fine.

Question is: is it a poor signal that is the problem, or did the expiry of her old telly in some way affect the Sony? (Or did a problem with the Sony cause her old TV to appear to pack-up?)

Two more pieces of info that might be of use: her aerial is in the loft (I’ve persuaded her to get the new one outside) but the other aerials I’ve tested it on are outside. I’ve tried different (and decent quality) cables.

I plan to try it again when her new aerial is up, and then if no joy, it’s off to a Sony repair man (out of warranty unfortunately). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.